leaky rear height corrector

BX Tech talk
Rob_e (UK)
Confirmed BX'er

leaky rear height corrector

Post by Rob_e (UK) »

My BX has just failed it's MOT for the first time since I have had it. Nothing too serious, rear light not working which seems to be dodgy electrics rather than a bulb unfortuantely and leaks from a broken rubber return pipe from the front suspension, that's not a problem as I have already got the spare. But he said there was a leak from the rear height corrector.
It is annoying as it seems to be working fine in terms for adjusting the cars height. I thought when they failed they tended to get sticky rather than leak. Is this common; and if so is there any easy (cheap) way to stop it leaking. I would rather not have to buy a new one given the old one works. Although with the MOT expiring shortly I haven't got much time.

Thanks,
Rob
BX19 GTi 8v 89 227k
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

They leak if the circular plastic cover pops off, which is a part discontinued by Citroen. I had this happen and had to replace the whole corrector as I was told "anyway, when this happens the seals in the corrector are on their way out". But if you can find a cover at a scrappie then I guess this will get you through the MOT so long as it isn't leaking at a rate that pushes it off again quickly and then you can replace the unit at a time more convenient to you.
1991 BX19GTi Auto
cauchoiskev
BXpert

Post by cauchoiskev »

How much is it leaking ? Puddle under the car ? I doubt it or you would have noticed already. A new one costs about 100 quid.

It could be just an HP union nut that need tightening, or a joint that needs replacing. At worst, you will have to change the membranes on the corrector - not expensive (a tenner).
AndersDK
BXpert

Post by AndersDK »

There are no seals inside the HC to fail and leak.
Only the membranes seen at each end under the dust/end covers, which still are available from Citroen :

5.410.408 end cover no center hole
5.410.407 end cover with center hole
C U / Anders - '90red16riBreak - '91GrisDolment16meteor - Project'88red19trsBreak
dead cars : '89white 16RS - '89antrasitTRDturboEst - '90white19triBreak
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

AndersDK wrote:There are no seals inside the HC to fail and leak.
Only the membranes seen at each end under the dust covers.
Well, the advice was from a Cit Ind Garage who did the job. I noticed the cap missing, way before MOT time, and barely a drip from the housing. Andyspares was still in existence then but I decided on balance to take the Cit advice and entrust it to them.
If the cap had been available still, I would have been inclined to try that and see if it popped off again as the corrector was still working but naive or not, I believed them when they said Citroen no longer do the cap because it is a sign of impending failure of the corrector anyway. I had already established from the main dealer that the cap had been discontinued.
This was the first costly job on the car, £168. On the DIY route a height corrector from Andyspares would have been £58.
This is one of the great things about this forum (joined later & didn't know the Andyspares one) that it gives a confidence boost to tackle these jobs yourself! :D
1991 BX19GTi Auto
Rob_e (UK)
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Rob_e (UK) »

Having looked under the back end, there was quite a bit of fluid, although I don't think the leak is that bad, it had just built up over time. I can't really see where it was coming from; but I have wiped in all clean and raised and lowered it a couple of times and still couldn't see the leak, so will have another look tomorrow and see if any more has leaked out.
If the leak is only small I may to just take it back as it is and hope that it gets through, the guy did say if it is dry when it comes in that's all he can judge it on.
I fitted the new spill off pipe at the front; that has got to be one of the most annoying jobs on the car; only one clip to hold it one but you can spend ages trying to get the damn thing done up.

Anders, Which bit is it that goes in the height correctors to make them leak, is it part 11 in this diagram?

Also does anyone know on the Citroen service website what does NFP mean next to part numbers? Does it mean they are discontinued?

Thanks,
Rob
BX19 GTi 8v 89 227k
jonathan_dyane
BXpert

Post by jonathan_dyane »

Rob_e (UK) wrote: Also does anyone know on the Citroen service website what does NFP mean next to part numbers? Does it mean they are discontinued?
Alas yes, NFP does mean no longer available.
"Boring damned people. All over the earth. Propagating more boring damned people. What a horror show. The earth swarmed with them." -Charles Bukowski
ellevie
Forum Treasurer

Post by ellevie »

NFP = Ne Fournissons Plus = We no longer furnish.
David

BX19TRS 118K E Reg 1992-2008
BX19TRS auto abs 96k F Reg
BX19TXD 150k K Reg
kiwi
Over 2k

Post by kiwi »

I better ask this question as now both of the ones I removed from the 16RS have got mixed up.

How do you tell the differance between a rear or a Front Height Corrector? They both look the same to me. Before any wise cracks answer they are NOT on the car.
1991 BX19 TZS 04/01/91 (Deceased)
1990 BX19 TRS 27/10/89 (Reborn)
1992 BX19 TXD (Ex UK - K 744 SDF) 15/06/92
1990 BX19 TZS Auto 06/11/1989
1992 BX TZD Turbo Estate (Ex UK) 1/07/91
CitroXim
Sir Jim of the Databases

Post by CitroXim »

kiwi wrote:How do you tell the differance between a rear or a Front Height Corrector? They both look the same to me. Before any wise cracks answer they are NOT on the car.
The hydraulic parts of a front and rear HC are indeed identical and can be swapped over. The cradles are different. The front cradle (if it's like a Xantia) is long and thin whereas the rear is short and squat.

I had one of my Xantias fail the MOT on a leaky rear HC. The MOT man mistook my over-zealous lubrication of said item as a leak :lol: :lol:
Jim

'98 Xantia 1.9TD in Red - Gabriel the Bus...
'96 Xantia Activa in Red - My favourite toy...
'07 Pug 207 in Blue - The Deathtrap...
'15 Giant Defy Bike in Blue - Daily rider...
'16 Giant TCR Bike in Black/Lime Green - Fine weather only...
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

Yep, they be both the same.
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
AndersDK
BXpert

Post by AndersDK »

ref11 and ref8 are the membranes with locating rings. These CAN leak, but mostly because of corrosion on the HC housing edges, where corrosion tends to creep in under the membranes.

ref6 & ref7 are the protective end/dust covers mentioned previously.

As you can see from the parts numbers list, the front and rear HC's are different. If you are very careful to turn the HC's around to lie down exactly the same way with ports pointing the exact same direction, you should in fact notice, that the ballhook is located opposite on front & rear HC's ...
C U / Anders - '90red16riBreak - '91GrisDolment16meteor - Project'88red19trsBreak
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

Rob_e (UK)
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Rob_e (UK) »

Well, I have ordered a new one from Eurocar parts, ordered it Monday and it still hasn't turned up yet, so I am hoping I will get it in time to fit it over the weekend.
If the other old one still has to potential to be repaired I may still do that and keep it as a spare.
So presumably the end cap is not the source of the leak as it is only a push fit so I assume it is to keep dirt out rather than hold back and fluid as it would just built up pressure and push the cap offl; so are the membranes the only source of leakage? or if a height corrector leaks is it due to corrosion and so not much chance of repair.

Vanny,
Thanks, I have already found that on ebay,and am already bidding on it :)

Thanks,
Rob
BX19 GTi 8v 89 227k
AndersDK
BXpert

Post by AndersDK »

Yep the end caps are nothing but dust caps.

I've overhauled many HC's with good results. Some I had to scrap, because the piston (ball-hook axle) was corroded on the part that moved into the housing.
The outer HC corrosion under the membrane edge is no problem, just rub it down clean, grease it and fit a good (new) membrane and locator ring. On final seal it with standard underbody mass, and it will serve you another 10 years no problem.

It is amazing how these micrometer precisely made units can withstand years and years of outdoor usage, and mostly always can be overhauled to functional good as new condition.