Handbrake cable outer sheath wear.

BX Tech talk
Kevin B
BXpert

Handbrake cable outer sheath wear.

Post by Kevin B »

Does any one know of a permanent solution to prevent the wheel rim from wearing through the hand brake cable outer sheath.
This seems to be more noticible on 16V alloy wheels (as they have more offset).
The only solution I have found to work is split a length of garden hose and cable tie it to the handbrake cable.

Thanks in anticipation.
CitroXim
Sir Jim of the Databases

Post by CitroXim »

That is precisely what us Xantia owners do although our sheath wear occurs on the cable guide rings.

Personally, I've never known a sheath to rub the wheel on a Xantia, even on my wide wheeled Activa. I'd check very carefully that the cables are routed correctly back to the compensator and that they're properly in the guide rings. It's so easy to miss one when fitting a new cable.

Another thing to check is that the right cables are fitted. I've no idea if it applies to the BX but various Xantia models have widely differing cable lengths on the LH side depending on what engine is fitted. Yours might have an inappropraite Xantia cable fitted perhaps?
Jim

'98 Xantia 1.9TD in Red - Gabriel the Bus...
'96 Xantia Activa in Red - My favourite toy...
'07 Pug 207 in Blue - The Deathtrap...
'15 Giant Defy Bike in Blue - Daily rider...
'16 Giant TCR Bike in Black/Lime Green - Fine weather only...
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

I've found some excessive wear issues with handbrake cables in the past, and my fix was to move the cable a bit (moving the excess to under the floor of the car rather than in the wheelarch) and then cable tie the cable to one of the guides. That way you can use whatever handbrake cables are available and prevent them rubbing.
this might be a signature
kermit the frog
BXpert

Post by kermit the frog »

Hi Kevin
If you are in desperate need of a hand brake cable depending on where you are i have a couple of reasonable used ones which you are welcome to for a beer at some time in the future. (if they need posting then it would be a few beers) :lol:

Regards Kermit :) :)
ALAN S an oracle of knowledge sadly missed by us all RIP Mate
Green Hornet well I don't really know.GS project gone to pastures new
Blue Streak 1996(P) XANTIA VSX TD (130K.)
kermit the frog
BXpert

Post by kermit the frog »

Sorry Kevin
Didn't look i can now see you are in newbury DOH :oops:

Regards Kermit :) :)
ALAN S an oracle of knowledge sadly missed by us all RIP Mate
Green Hornet well I don't really know.GS project gone to pastures new
Blue Streak 1996(P) XANTIA VSX TD (130K.)
AndersDK
BXpert

Post by AndersDK »

The handbrake cables should be crossed in their routings such the sides are swapped inboards at the lever. I think I read a Citroen tech note once on this issue. But cant find it now to proove it :roll:

I presume thats the reason why the cables now are a bit longer.
I once did a mod to try make the cables retract from the wheelarches : connected the 2 sides cables with a strong spring from a garden hanging chair.

I do remember that I never, ever heard that strange faint groaning again - from the cables rubbing the tyre.
But I cant remember if the problem moved to the cable guides. I need to do this mod again on both my running BX'es. I actually forgot about it 8)
C U / Anders - '90red16riBreak - '91GrisDolment16meteor - Project'88red19trsBreak
dead cars : '89white 16RS - '89antrasitTRDturboEst - '90white19triBreak
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

I have 2 Quinton Hazell cables on my BX - with the blue sleeve which prevents the guide fastened to the hub carrier chafing through.

They work nicely and I suppose the older one has been on there for about 6 years now.

I wonder if they are in fact Lecoy cables as mentioned by Jon?