Front subframe removal

BX Tech talk
Jayboy
BXpert

Front subframe removal

Post by Jayboy »

Hi guys

Need to remove the front subframe from my spare 16v to replace the rather bent original on my Phase 1.

Can't quite work out how it is held on at the front end. Is it just attached to the engine mounts or is it bolted to the bodywork somewhere?

Any advice/photos much appreciated.

Would possibly like to remove it with engine and front struts etc still in place if I can.

Thanks in advance.
CCC BX Columnist
'89 16v P1
'90 BX GTi 4x4, 16v P2, 19 TZI auto A/C estate
'92 BX 19 TGD (now 17 Turbo D)
'93 BX 19 TXD estate & 19TD van
'93 ZX Volcane TD 3 Door
'71 DS 21 EFi Pallas, '86 Visa GTi ,
'98 Xantia Activa P1
'07 C4 by Loeb
3 x 2CV, 1 x Mehari
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Re: Front subframe removal

Post by DavidRutherford »

Jayboy wrote: is it bolted to the bodywork somewhere?
I should certainly hope so!

2 bolts where the subframe touches the bodywork just behind the struts, and 2 bolts where the subframe extends backwards under the footwells. These ones are accessed by removing the carpet and the large bit of sellotape over the access hole in the footwell.

The struts won't come out easily with the subframe, as they attach to the body too. I'd take them out independently.
this might be a signature
AndersDK
BXpert

Post by AndersDK »

You dont need to remove the struts. Just free them off the hub by releasing the nut on the hub clamp bolt. Then tap the struts upwards from the bottom. They will hang down nicely no problems at all.

The retaining bolts are one bolt each side. Looks like they only retain the antirollbar bushing, but they go right through up to the body member. Its the larger head bolts ONLY.
The smaller head bolts are for the ARB bushing only.
C U / Anders - '90red16riBreak - '91GrisDolment16meteor - Project'88red19trsBreak
dead cars : '89white 16RS - '89antrasitTRDturboEst - '90white19triBreak
kermit the frog
BXpert

Post by kermit the frog »

The engine is only conected to the sub frame by the torque link which bolt's between the sub frame and the o/s drive shaft support bearing housing. ( Aluminium with two rubber bushes)
the steering rack is also bolted to the sub frame as is the front height adjuster.(un bolt these)
if you break the lower swivels and leave the hubs and drive shafts in place.
undo the bolts described in the above post's leaving the two ftont ones in a couple of turns. check that you have removed all pipe clips etc and that the sub frame is free put a jack under the centre with some wood to spread the weight
remove the bolts and slowly lower the sub frame checking again that nothing is still attached. (if anything is still attache stop raise the jack and disconnect whatever it is then continue)
The subframe should now be out and the engine will be held by the upper engine mounting's

Had to do this myself once when i ran over a low wall and took out the sump and knocked off the oil pump DOH!!!!
And bent the front subframe like a banana
Still the engine is still the same on at the moment and that was 100k ago

Regards Kermit :)

PS i am not sure if this is covered in the haynes manual
ALAN S an oracle of knowledge sadly missed by us all RIP Mate
Green Hornet well I don't really know.GS project gone to pastures new
Blue Streak 1996(P) XANTIA VSX TD (130K.)
Jayboy
BXpert

Post by Jayboy »

Thanks guys.

Those bolts behind the front struts were eluding me. Only the ARB bolts were obvious - I must look harder in future!

Had already gained access to the rear mounting only to discover the bolt heads are a 18mm as opposed to 16mm on the rear subframe - that necessitates a new socket!

Hopefully it will all go well and I'll have the valver back on the road soonish.