How to Strip a Bosch Diesel Injection Pump

BX Tech talk
CitroXim
Sir Jim of the Databases

How to Strip a Bosch Diesel Injection Pump

Post by CitroXim »

I have finally done it, thanks to the cold weather, and produced a guide to stripping a Bosch Diesel Injection Pump as fitted to many an XUD 1.9TD engine. Earlier pumps without the electronic bits are very similar, as are non-turbo Bosch pumps. The pump used was from a 1997 Xantia 1.9TD.

The strip is what you would have to do in order to replace the seals most likely to leak. I do not recommend dismantling a pump of this nature any further lest the calibration of the thing be upset.

This is not an easy job at all and must be undertaken with extreme care and caution. In BoL-speak, a real 5 spanner job.

This was a scrap pump that had sprang a massive leak after running very high ratios of vegetable oil for an extended period. I've had it in bits before and for the past 6 months or so it has been been soaking in vegetable oil to enable some rough assessment to be made of any adverse effect the oil may have on the pump seals.

I found the seals had hardened quite considerably between my first and latest disassembly of this pump. I therefore believe (personal view only) that running high veg ratios is ultimately detrimental to the pump seals.

Here is the guide. It's on a slow link and the pictures may take a few moments to load...

http://www.eastment.net/Boschpump1.htm
Jim

'98 Xantia 1.9TD in Red - Gabriel the Bus...
'96 Xantia Activa in Red - My favourite toy...
'07 Pug 207 in Blue - The Deathtrap...
'15 Giant Defy Bike in Blue - Daily rider...
'16 Giant TCR Bike in Black/Lime Green - Fine weather only...
ellevie
Forum Treasurer

Post by ellevie »

Very nice Jim, very thorough. Great pics !
I like the way you've divided it up in sections with links.
David

BX19TRS 118K E Reg 1992-2008
BX19TRS auto abs 96k F Reg
BX19TXD 150k K Reg
jonathan_dyane
BXpert

Post by jonathan_dyane »

On the removal of pump armour, can I just say that I fitted a Xsara pump to my old BX which necessitated removal of the armour to fit a standard type stop solenoid.

I found it was possible to tease the shearbolts undone with a sharpened punch, although I hasten to add this was on a Rotodiesel/lucas/CAV type pump and not a Bosch...
"Boring damned people. All over the earth. Propagating more boring damned people. What a horror show. The earth swarmed with them." -Charles Bukowski
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

Good work Jim and very timely for me! Thankyou
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read