Xantia to BX conversion.

BX Tech talk
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Xantia to BX conversion.

Post by cavmad »

O.K folks, sorry if this is a topic which has probably come up hundreds of times but I`ve had a thought (and yes, it is a lonely one :lol: ): To save the heartache of getting the lump (and possibly saving money by not having to get a complete TD engine) is it practicable to just add the turbo, manifold and intercooler from a Xant onto your existing 1.9 BX engine?
Also if you were to fit an intercooler from a larger diesel engined car would this aid performance?
I`d like to fit a Xant motor into a BX one day as they seem to be a good conversion from what people have said.
Vauxhall apologist.
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

Simplest would be acomplete Zx/Xantia motor and box fitted with a BX cam to drive the HP pump and ZX top mount intercooler, the cooling system should come from a TZD, there Easy! :D :D :D
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
M

Post by M »

Bolting a turbo to an NA lump is a sure fire way of shortening its life.

A LOT
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Thanks gent`s. It`ll be a long way away before I ever got round to something like that but I would love a 1.9TD BX.
I assume by what you say Marty that the TD is a stronger engine than the n/a? By which I mean different pistons etc?
Vauxhall apologist.
tom
Citroen Sorceror
My Cars: 2003- Passe-Partout 1.9 TGD estate
2005 Grolliffe Tizzydee turbo estate and sundry other BXs and Grace, a CX TRD.
2008 to 2023 - all sorts of stuff, some interesting
2024. TxD 1.9D estate. 'Wheelybin'

Post by tom »

The TD1.9 is different in almost every respect internally. Bolting the go faster kit to it will work very well for the week that it will take you to find the replacement engine you'll be needing. Much the same goes for the 1.7 N/a as well.
citroenxm
Confirmed BX'er

Post by citroenxm »

CavMad,

Nice idea, but you would ALSO need to drill an OIL feed into a Pressure Oil way to feed the turbo, these are in the back of the block lower down, and also an oil drain too..

SIMPLY aquire a Xantia lump, put the BX Inlet manifold on, or even if you dare put the BX Cam into the head, you may need to shim it again though, and put your BX crank pully on the TD unit.!!

Simple on these french cars I've certainly found over the years.

C U
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

The 405 is another source of a good 1.9TD engine. It even comes with the correct manifolds and intercooler on it. All you then need is to transfer your HP pump over, and you have an engine ready to go.

Make sure you get a 1992 onwards model (later style "one piece" dashboard) for the 1.9TD engine, as the earlier ones were the 1769TD engine.

As far as ebay prices go at the moment, you can GIVE away a 405 TD saloon. (estates make a bit of money though)
this might be a signature
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Or you could buy a t/d bx instead if your a mechanical idiot like me!

Are the turbo engines much faster? I have anew Golf Gt TDi (company car) and its stupidly quick when its wound up!