Rust prevention

BX Tech talk
TB2
BXpert

Rust prevention

Post by TB2 »

Hi,

as I've been browsing the forum for a while now I noticed that many used BXs rust at the doors. It looks like the rust is coming from the inside out. Isn't there some "paint stuff" one can "inject" into the bodywork? Our BX has no rust at all and I'd cry when the first spots show up :?

The only thing I know is cleaning the underside of the car, especially in winter as streets are salty and as soon as I fixed the car it will be garaged most of the time.

Is there any way to prevent the doors from rusting?
Has anyone tried anything else to protect his BX from rust?

Regards,
Carl
Carl

1989 TRD "Entreprise" Turbo Diesel
1989 16 Valve
---
Parts needed:
- One black leather headrest.
- FDV overhaul kit (95.669.034)
Please contact me through PN if you have any of this.
jonathan_dyane
BXpert

Post by jonathan_dyane »

Personally I am a great fan of filling cavities with used engine oil, and plastering the underside of the car with a mixture of used oil and grease.

It is very effective from an anti-rust point of view, but does make working under the car somewhat messy, and used engine oil is potentially carciogenic...
"Boring damned people. All over the earth. Propagating more boring damned people. What a horror show. The earth swarmed with them." -Charles Bukowski
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

Dear old Waxoyl does the job, and I think it's a no-brainer to fill any decnt-looking sill with it, judging by the experiences I've had with rot on the the rear sections of sills on my recent BXs.

I also found it very instructive last weekend to poke sharp instruments into my old BX that Doc was scrapping. The rear sills were as rotten as I expected, and easy to perforate, but the eye-opener was the patch of bubbly stuff at the base of the driver's side B-pillar. I've seen this before on a previous car, and thought it woth checking, but the area was well and truly rotten in this case (sill seams are also worth checking out).

There was also rust in the front wings in places that I couldn't see without the front wings removed, and the usual stuff around the front door stay.

As always, nice shiny metallic paint is no guarantee that there won't be rust underneath in copious quantities. If you have a hatchback, do check the boot floor ruthlessly on the back edge, and around the box sections mounted on the underside. Most of them seem to go there - sometimes in a big way.
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.