tyre question

BX Tech talk
saint gaz
BXpert

tyre question

Post by saint gaz »

Hello chums,
Hope you are all well. It’s been a while since I have posted but I have popped back a few times just to keep my bx eye in. (the Megane is fab by the way). Anyway just a general question on behalf of my brother-in-law. He has a small Yarris :oops: . He had an advisory last week at mot time on a front tyre. He took it to his local tyre man and he has said it needs two. (I must say having looked at them I am surprised it passed as they are both right on the limit). Now for the question. The tyre chap has said to rotate the reasonably good rear tyres to the front them put the new ones on the back. I remember being told by a tyre chap to always have your best tyres on the front for corner and drive purposes. Or as it’s a yarris and not an Aston martin does it not matter too much.
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

You should really always have the better tyres on the rear, as for the average driver it's easier to correct a front-end slide than it is a rear-end slide.

Plus, if you're going to crash into the scenery, it's better to do it forwards (IE understeer into stuff) as that's where all the crash protection is in a car. Do it backwards (or even worse, sideways) and you may not come off as well.
this might be a signature
jonathan_dyane
BXpert

Post by jonathan_dyane »

I can only agree that the place for crap tyres is preferebly in the bin, but if not on the front...

For many years I always put my crap tyres on the rear, in the belief that in a FWD car the rear tyres were of little importance.

I discovered my mistake when borrowing my sisters 2CV which then had good Michelins on the front, and crap Uniroyals on the rear. Heading home from work tired and exhausted on a wet and unfamiliar road, as I rounded a bend the back end broke away completely and without warning. In attempting to regain control, one of the front wheels went off the edhe of tarmac, and I was pulled into a chainlink fence where the car was firmly lodged, with the bumper firmly attatched to the fence, and a driveshaft dislocated...

Before then in the many thousands of miles I had covered in A series cars, I had never once managed to get the back end out, despite being at times an enthusiastic driver.

Thankfully I had a spare wing and suspension arm at home...

Since then I've always tended to put my better tyres on the rear.
"Boring damned people. All over the earth. Propagating more boring damned people. What a horror show. The earth swarmed with them." -Charles Bukowski
saint gaz
BXpert

Post by saint gaz »

Thanks for the info i will pass it on, looks like i was wrong :oops:
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Seeing as one is entrusting one's life, and probably the lives of loved ones and other road users, to those four small footprints of rubber, it has always been my philosophy that you fit good tyres all round. The best in fact that you can afford, because, next to brake pads, they are sometimes all that will save you from an accident.
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

Philip chidlow wrote:it has always been my philosophy that you fit good tyres all round.
Fair enough, but the point being made here is that if you have to buy a pair of tyres, meaning you have 2 brand new ones and 2 part-way through their life, then the back is the best place for them.

After all, most cars wear their front and rear tyres at different rates, meaning that you'll never buy a complete vehicle set in one go. Whenever I buy a pair of tyres, they always go on the back of the car, and the back ones go on the front. When the front tyres have worn to the limit, the process happens over again.
this might be a signature
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Aye, and it's now been scientifically proven that a rear tyre blowing out is likely to make the car lose contorl more easily than a front tyre blow out. It makes sense swapping the tyres from front to back so you get the most life out of them. Also you're more likely to spot any damage or premature wear PLUS you could get them re-balanced to ensure even tyre wear and no vibrations through the wheel.
Vauxhall apologist.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

DavidRutherford wrote:the point being made here is that if you have to buy a pair of tyres, meaning you have 2 brand new ones and 2 part-way through their life, then the back is the best place for them.
Fair point. I guess if there's ever any doubt, on the rear - every time.
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

on the Yaris front, hows the wear accross the tyre? Even? nargh thought not, describe it. Also, change the drop links now! Do it your self and there only £6 ish each, and require 2 spanners to change (you can do it without a jack of any sort!).
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

Count yourselves lucky.
I need 6 new tyres for the coach. Whilst I hate Michelin's with a passion I have no choice but to get Michy X's, since it's old and an odd size, and they are the only tyre speed rated sufficiently for the top end of the beast.
Rather painful at £364 +VAT each. :shock:
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Owwwwwch! :shock:
saint gaz
BXpert

Post by saint gaz »

Vanny wrote:on the Yaris front, hows the wear accross the tyre? Even? nargh thought not, describe it. Also, change the drop links now! Do it your self and there only £6 ish each, and require 2 spanners to change (you can do it without a jack of any sort!).
Vanny, The tyre wear is even on both tyres, I checked them at an even 1.75 mm I believe the legal limit is 1.6 across 3/4 of the tyre. That is obviously why the thing passed the mot with an advisory. Like has been mentioned the question was simply were to put the new ones. Incidentally the rears (that will become the front) have 3.8 mm of tread on them.
This is my brother in laws car and he asked my advice as he thought he might be getting sh@fted by the tyre chappys. But When i saw them i said that if it was my car i would do as the garage say, and possibly look at changing the other set around summer,(if we get one this year :lol: )
djoptix
BXpert

Post by djoptix »

docchevron1472 wrote:£364 +VAT each. :shock:
Arsebrackets!!
Good heavens! My signature's been moderated...