Strut compatability.

BX Tech talk
AlanS
BXpert

Strut compatability.

Post by AlanS »

Have a friend with a BX TZi with a badly leaking strut but after trying to pull another strut apart, am convinced it's nigh on impossible to strip a strut without doing a massive amount of damage.
I have however, got access to a good strut on a Trs.
Can anyone advise if the struts are interchangeable as in models and also if left and right hand struts are compatable/interchangeable.
(Don't wanna do like I did on the Xantia HA2 where I swapped both struts onlt to discover they were wrong way round) :oops: :roll:

Alan S
By the time you're old enough to know it all, you can't remember why you were learning.
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

Like a surprising number of BX parts they're all the same across the range from 14 to 16 valve - the difference of course being in the sphere.
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

Alan - I haven't stripped/reconditioned a strut myself, but Tom for one has done it before - as with most things I believe the best results are obtained by using the best possible tools (apologies to grandmothers & eggs for needless tutorial).

I'll probably have a go at one myself later this year with Tom's assistance - I've got no shortage of raw material. The best guide AFAIR was on that Japanese BX site, probably still available via various web archiving services.
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

The struts aren't handed and are indeed the same across the whole range.

Rebuilding a strut is easy enough if you have some heat and some massive stilsons..
Nothing too complex in it, but if the strut is THAT far gone then the piston is probably dead and you dont get one in the kit.

If you've got a good working one then it's by far the easiest and quickest solution just to change it!
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
ellevie
Forum Treasurer

Post by ellevie »

DLM, that wonderful Japanese site is still there,
http://www.mars.dti.ne.jp/~ynar/bxorg_a ... dex-e.html
David

BX19TRS 118K E Reg 1992-2008
BX19TRS auto abs 96k F Reg
BX19TXD 150k K Reg
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Post by Jaba »

I have rebuilt two in the past. The difficult bit is unscrewing the top cap. It is stiff all the way off due to the hard setting sealant cit. used.
I borrowed a cut down front hub from Bob Smith to clamp onto the strut and just hammered it round while holding the other end in a vice.

If you dont polish out the wear grooves on the inner piston it will still be jerky and a bit stiff despite the new seals. Easy job though.

The Japanese site archive of the rebuild can be found here: http://web.archive.org/web/200101100131 ... /m05e.html

The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
AlanS
BXpert

Post by AlanS »

Thanks for the info guys.
We tried to strip one a while back, but in all honesty, it ended up so many different shapes we tossed it and ran a mile. Brother it was bloody tight.
Reason I am going down the replacement track is that we are supplying bits for a Pug mechanic 400 klms away, who sh*ts himself at the thought of Citroen hydraulics, so I'll post it to him and talk him through the r & r operation by phone.

Alan S
By the time you're old enough to know it all, you can't remember why you were learning.
AndersDK
BXpert

Post by AndersDK »

Please note that the internal bits differ up to approx build year '86.
Its the internal large rubber damper bushing and the end stop bits that are different to such a degree, they can not be mixed with later types.
These struts are however still perfectly interchangeable with the later units.
C U / Anders - '90red16riBreak - '91GrisDolment16meteor - Project'88red19trsBreak
dead cars : '89white 16RS - '89antrasitTRDturboEst - '90white19triBreak