How to remove Bosch pump?

BX Tech talk
toddao
BXpat

How to remove Bosch pump?

Post by toddao »

This afternoon I commenced the removal of my Bosch pump. I followed all the instructions from the Haynes til I came to the final part :

In the manual they undo the sprocket nut and simply withdraw the pump from its mountings. I undid the sprocket nut and the pump remains steadfast.
Then I see that the pump in the Haynes is a Roto-Diesel and there are no further directions for the Bosch.

What have I to do? All mountings according to the manual are away. Do I perhaps have to undo that bolt that runs through that plate by the injector unions ( and also hold the throttle and idle cables). This is not the lower mounting bolt.

I thought I would pose this question here before I go dismantling further.
Typical Haynes, had the same problem with my Honda - it simply doesn't show certain variations.
I've got to get it out and in by four tomorrow afternoon, so any advice greatly appreciated. Cheers!

P.S one more question. How the devil can one do up the spocket nut again and get a torque wrench on it when one can barely squeeze a ring spanner in there?
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
djoptix
BXpert

Post by djoptix »

This may be completely unhelpful, but when I removed the pump for my AX the plate holding the throttle cable anchorages had to be removed to allow access to a third mounting bolt, hidden on the back/underside of the pump. How many mounting bolts have you removed?

PS Fark knows, ask a 90s French assembler...
Good heavens! My signature's been moderated...
CitroXim
Sir Jim of the Databases

Post by CitroXim »

Hi Todd,

have a look part way down this threadhere.

It's for the X****a but it should be more or less the same for the BX.

The pain is the nut right under the pump :twisted: Be careful of the back bracket nut, it's screwed onto a tapered bolt that is hard to hold and can go walkies. Even more fun when refitting the pump.
Jim

'98 Xantia 1.9TD in Red - Gabriel the Bus...
'96 Xantia Activa in Red - My favourite toy...
'07 Pug 207 in Blue - The Deathtrap...
'15 Giant Defy Bike in Blue - Daily rider...
'16 Giant TCR Bike in Black/Lime Green - Fine weather only...
djoptix
BXpert

Post by djoptix »

citrojim wrote:the nut right under the pump :twisted:
That's the one I meant - duh, of course it's mounting nut, not mounting bolt, silly me.
Good heavens! My signature's been moderated...
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

Thanks for the replies fellas. I've already taken out the bottom mounting nut that you described as difficult Jim- I managed to squeeze a socket on it .
So that's three out - any others? But I can't in any way 'tease the pump out' yet. What is the nut that sits dead centre in between where the injectors exit? This plate with the throttle cable mounting I've already half dismantled ( it needed one Torx and one Hex bit! Why??)
I've stopped for today but I need to go in there tomorrow with the right idea.

Re: getting the right torque when the sprocket nut goes on, will very tight do?
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
CitroXim
Sir Jim of the Databases

Post by CitroXim »

Hi Todd,

There should be a fourth nut on the rear mounting plate that bolts the pump to a lug on the cast alloy pump carrier. It'll be (imagine you're looking at the back of the pump head-on) at around 5 O'Clock. It is in fact a bolt with a taper that pulls tight into the mounting lug on the pump carrier.

The bolt right in the centre of the HP unions is the timing access hole.

Well done with the lower nut. That one in the Xant is a pig due to the proximity of the HP pump and alternator..
Jim

'98 Xantia 1.9TD in Red - Gabriel the Bus...
'96 Xantia Activa in Red - My favourite toy...
'07 Pug 207 in Blue - The Deathtrap...
'15 Giant Defy Bike in Blue - Daily rider...
'16 Giant TCR Bike in Black/Lime Green - Fine weather only...
sdelasal
BXpert

Post by sdelasal »

thread from the dead I know, but how do I get the pump sprocket off the taper shaft? everything is loose. Steve
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

sdelasal wrote:thread from the dead I know, but how do I get the pump sprocket off the taper shaft? everything is loose. Steve
Normally undoe the nut to the end of the threaded shaft but don't remove so it protects the thread of the shaft then strike hard once with a hammer! Once loose take the nut off and withdraw the pump.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.