Heater/Glow plugs

BX Tech talk
TheBig-D

Heater/Glow plugs

Post by TheBig-D »

How hard are they to change on my '92 TGD..

It gave up the will to live this morning no heat at all.. Had to walk to work.. :cry:

I'm a little worried as i've been hearing stories that.. Get it wrong and it will cost me the car (If they snap)

Any tips & tricks. As this pushes the boundarys of my 'Hammer skills' :lol:

Thanks

Ps.. I brought these.... Any good?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Citroen-Xsara-Xan ... dZViewItem
Terry Brooks
BXpert
Location: No 1 at the end of the bar .....@Milton Arms,Rotherham

Post by Terry Brooks »

Easily sorted ..............if I can do 'em,then anyone can.
A standard sockit set should be suffice.
Just dont lose the nuts wot fasten the wires to them.[8mm ..iirc]
Mine [on my 1.7 tzd] came out easy enuff .......I suspect the secret is gentle but firm,and if it wont turn one way,then ease it the other way,a bit at a time.
hth
T.
Dont let the 2CV fool you,I'm not a hippy,I like violence
CitroXim
Sir Jim of the Databases

Post by CitroXim »

They are only a pain when you have a Turbo engine with a Bosch pump as it considerably hinders access to Nos. 3 and 4 glowplugs.

I use a 12mm cranked ring spanner as a socket is often not deep enough and a deep socket may give access problems. And as Terry says, gentle but firm :)

A lump of Blu-Tac on your finger to catch the 8mm nuts as they come off is a godsend, as is a rag stuffed behind the injection pump and starter motor. Glowplugs are like Lemmings - as soon as they are unscrewed they make a break for the narrow spaces between the injection pump and starter motor. They seem to love it down there and I've found loads of old glowplugs quietly living out their days in these spots when stripping an engine :lol:

The horror stories concern lumps of head casting coming away with the glowplugs when you try to unscrew them :shock: Dissimilar metal corrosion between the plug body and the cylinder head can cause them to well and truely seize in their threads. You give them a bit too much welly and a lump of head comes with them! Some have made successful repairs using Chemical Metal.

If they are old and been there a long time, a good dose of Plus-Gas the day before is well recommended.

Check the electrics though. It is unusual for all four to fail at the same time. Check you have at least 11V on them when the glowplug light is on. Sometimes the feed cable to them or the paralleling cable that links all four plugs can break down and short circuit to adjacent metalwork.

Be thankful you don't have a 1.9TD Xa**ia. Glowplug replacement is a 'mare :twisted:
Jim

'98 Xantia 1.9TD in Red - Gabriel the Bus...
'96 Xantia Activa in Red - My favourite toy...
'07 Pug 207 in Blue - The Deathtrap...
'15 Giant Defy Bike in Blue - Daily rider...
'16 Giant TCR Bike in Black/Lime Green - Fine weather only...
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

citrojim wrote:Be thankful you don't have a 1.9TD Xa**ia, they're a 'mare :twisted:
Fixorised for real worldness! :wink: :lol:
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
kermit the frog
BXpert

Post by kermit the frog »

Hi Big D
I personally would do as Citrojim suggests and check the electrics first as this is more likely where the fault is.
For all 4 plugs to fail at the same time is as likely as me winning the lottery Jackpot three weeks in a row using the same numbers.
Check out the connections on the timer relay as they can corrode.
Check the sticky at the top of the tech index for tips on solving diesel starting problems.

Regards Kermit :) :)
ALAN S an oracle of knowledge sadly missed by us all RIP Mate
Green Hornet well I don't really know.GS project gone to pastures new
Blue Streak 1996(P) XANTIA VSX TD (130K.)