BX19RD Loss of drive

BX Tech talk
BP

BX19RD Loss of drive

Post by BP »

Any suggestions would be appreciated!! My old faithful BX19RD Automatic, which for some time has clonked very badly on the offside hub when on hard lock to right ( to the point that it will sometimes take the steering wheel out of your hands). Went to drive off yesterday and after some fairly horrendous noises, it appears that the drive has now become disconnected from the offside hub, as the vehicle now free wheels in or out of gear. As yet have not had a chance to take wheel off and check out. Is it likely to be just a connection on a universal joint that has become broken/separated? Or something more serious. Thanks for any opinions. BP
Brian
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

Sounds like the cv joint has broken on the driveshaft. :(
1991 BX19GTi Auto
Jayboy
BXpert

Post by Jayboy »

I'd go with that - happened to my RD estate!
BP

BX19RD Loss of power

Post by BP »

Thanks for your info Guys,
Will have a look at it over the weekend and see what can be done!
Brian
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

Might be worth looking at the joints these people supply.

I needed an outer joint (with ABS ring). Rest of the shaft was relatively new so I bought the joint alone of them. No deposit or return on the joint alone (not shaft). I ordered the thing and it was delivered by 8am the next morning.

Nicely packed and the joint looks good and is working well. Its supplied with the boot, grease and the necessary securing rings which could be fitted with carpenters pincers.

http://www.carparts-direct.co.uk
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

Joints look a good proposition Jeremy but you can still get better value from Euro car parts on the whole shaft for:

REPLACEMEN n/a 654545250 REMAN DSHAFT LH BX GTi/TD +ABS. Left XU9J2 Engine With ABS £64.01

Cheaper for non ABS

What I didn't like on the carparts-direct.co.uk site was that they're pushing those "Sticky Boots"! :evil: Never again going down that path. Did everything ultra carefully to have it failed again on the next MOT!!!!!!!!! :shock:AND they're much more expensive than stretchy boots. :roll:
1991 BX19GTi Auto
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

When I needed the joint the RHS shafts with ABS were not available (may be now - I haven't looked) - so I was rather stuck - and indeed was considering buying a LH one and removing the joint from it.

I had a LH one from EuroCarParts last year and it seemed well made and smooth - far better than the recon one of dubious origins that it replaced. I took the previous one out to change the boot - and it was so nasty I replaced it.

The Carparts joint came with a proper boot. A stick one may not be ideal (I have never used one) but if it means the boot is replaced before the joint gets dirty its probably worth it.
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

jeremy wrote:When I needed the joint the RHS shafts with ABS were not available (may be now - I haven't looked)
Yes, they are but about £10 more. :?

The benefit I think of getting from Europarts too is that you can collect & take the old one back without getting into high postal charges. :D
jeremy wrote: I had a LH one from EuroCarParts last year and it seemed well made and smooth - far better than the recon one of dubious origins that it replaced
That's worth knowing. 8)
1991 BX19GTi Auto
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

Depends which make the one from ECP is. Some of the ones we used to sell (When I worked there) were awful.

I've got two non-ABS ones kicking around somewhere if you need and you're local.
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)