Can I adapt a series 2 ignition switch for my series 1 BX?

BX Tech talk
pitman
BXpert

Can I adapt a series 2 ignition switch for my series 1 BX?

Post by pitman »

I haven't found so far a new ignition switch for series 1.

Could I use an ignition switch from series 2 (from aepdirect.com £ 40) instead? Would it make much work or it is impossible at all?

I presume from a Citroën dealer it's far beyond 100 quid and I'll get everything but I need only the ignition switch and don't worry the second key.
BX Leader 19 Diesel - 1986
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

First thing I'd do is look at the circuit diagrams - there were a few electrical changes from Mk1 to Mk2.

My gut feeling is that there probably won't be a lot of difference to location and fixings, as what's under the dash, the wings and the trim changed surprisingly little from Mk1 to Mk2
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.
pitman
BXpert

Post by pitman »

I don't know if GSF has sold me the right lock.

It didn't have the round safety lock pin. It had two little hooks - connected like a U - instead. And, those hooks were on the other side.

Anyway, I did go with that lock. Mostly working with a hack saw, I cut the large end of the lock itself and then cut a groove into the tube-like lock holder on the steering wheel to have place for those hooks.

Now, you could remove the defect lock even without a key simply by unscrewing it.

The electrical connectors had fewer cables but both entered smoothly onto the board. They have differently shaped plugs so no need to worry about the electrical part.

Normally, I should have only cut the end of the lock or even only have unscrewed the part with the steering wheel barrier and exchanged the barrier inside.
:roll:

But that way it has been more fun. Hack saw - a very important tool for repairing a BX.
:lol:
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

I have a 1989 BX DTR Turbo which appears to have all its locks changed shortly before I got it and came with a key with a spine running its length. The original key (which I don't have would seem from all the locks (which came with the car) seems to have been flat.

Last year the ignition lock on our ZX 1.9D failed and I got a new one from GSF. The new lock had a key with a spine (like the BX one) and the original was flat.

I had initially tought about changing the barrels over so all the locks would operate on th flat (old) key but from examination of the 2 locks - they were very different.

I duly removed the old lock following Haynes instructions (together with the after market immobiliser which fortunately was largely connected to the lock harness) Then was puzzled as to how I was going to fit the different lock - but in fact with a bit of fiddling it went straight in using different slots and holes for its fastenings and even a different hole for the bolt (which was really what puzzled me)

The replacement (key with spine) was Valeo, the original was made by someone else - and the fitting on the steering column will take either. Presumably the same applies to my 89 BX.
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d

Post by DLM »

On the same topic, I take it that means GSF still do ignition switch assemblies then - dare I ask how much?
pitman
BXpert

Post by pitman »

What do you mean by assemblies?

They sell that ignition switch (optional with 4 further locks) from valeo where it says "Citroen BX" on the cardbox. "Citroen BX" was covered with a label. So, I was unsure until I removed that label. :roll:

aepdirect.com has one that looks slightly different (photo on their Web site) but it's out of stock there.
DLM
Our Trim Guru

Post by DLM »

Sorry - I was a bit unclear. By "assembly" I meant the ignition switch plus the wiring terminating in the 2 x 4-way connectors (possibly with an add-on red connector hanging off one terminal for ABS - I can't remember which side of the switchcable/loom this goes).
pitman
BXpert

Post by pitman »

Well, sorry too ... was confused by the posh word for that.

GSF sells the ignition switch only for £ 41 ex. VAT and the set with switch plus 4 further locks (2 doors and 2 for tank and boot) for £ 56 ex. VAT.

Cables are with differently shaped connectors so you can't do anything wrong. The mark 1 had actually more cables in those connectors than the new one but everything works fine.

Only the key is bigger than the old one.
DLM
Our Trim Guru

Post by DLM »

Many thanks for that - GSF could have some of my custom soon.
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

If its only £41 then I'll probably have one as well - hardly worth messing around with a starter button for that money!

Mind you - a big red button would look . . . . .
novomanbx

bx steering lock and ignition switch

Post by novomanbx »

Hello from a new member
help needed!!!
I contacted AEP and got a new steering lock and ignition switch (£51.47 including delivery) it did n't quite match the old one I've taken off! Having noted that members seemed to have cracked the problem of physically fitting the lock by creative use of hacksaw I was not too discouraged: -- This was before the conversation had turned to the question of wiring!!!
Now its bank holiday weekend I 've just got the time to fit the part, however, now I've come to do it and taken the old one apart I have found that the wiring from the switch to the two connector sockets is different. So I'm stuck! :oops:

The old wiring has
4 WHITE wires leading to one circuit socket connector and
another 4 RED wires leading to a second circuit socket connector.

The unit AEP have supplied does have two circuit socket connectors the same size as the originals to plug into the circuits served by the ignition/ steering column switch but the wiring is different;

The first of the circuit socket connectors has only two WHITE wires only to sockets 1 and 4 and no connections to sockets 2 and 3

The other circuit socket connector has four wires from the ignition switch
Socket 1 has GREEN lead with an additional fly lead with a socket. There is no extra lead like this on the current set up.
Socket 2 has GREEN lead
socket 3 has an ORANGE lead
Socket 4 has a YELLOW lead.

How do I wire the new unit in, how did you do it. :?: :? Would be grateful for any help I can't trace how the switches are wired from my Haynes Manual.
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

Are you trying to fit a Mk2 switch to a Mk1 BX? :?

Check out this thread! :wink:
1991 BX19GTi Auto
novomanbx

bx steering lock and ignition switch

Post by novomanbx »

My BX is 1990
BX 14 TGE petrol with the K1G engine does that make it a mark 2?
AndersDK
BXpert

Re: bx steering lock and ignition switch

Post by AndersDK »

novomanbx wrote:My BX is 1990
BX 14 TGE petrol with the K1G engine does that make it a mark 2?
Yep - thats a facelift Mk2.
Recognised by white (clear) front indicator lenses, "normal" stalk controls, and the common circular instrument gauges.

The Mk1 model is the pre-'87 BX'es with orange front indicator lenses, "LEGO" controls and beer can speedometer.

There are lots of other different details too, most noticeable the re-design of the bumpers.

It is possible to completely "up" grade a (good) Mk1 chassis body to a Mk2 look alike. Especially as SORN'ed Mk2's are available everywhere these days.
C U / Anders - '90red16riBreak - '91GrisDolment16meteor - Project'88red19trsBreak
dead cars : '89white 16RS - '89antrasitTRDturboEst - '90white19triBreak
novomanbx

veleo ingition switch steering lock success

Post by novomanbx »

Just to report that despite looking very different, especially the wiring, the part suplied by AEP went in no problems, didn't have to modify mounting. :D
Thanks for all the advice and help everyone.