Mk.1 cooling fan

BX Tech talk
toddao
BXpat

Mk.1 cooling fan

Post by toddao »

While I was working on the old girl today with the engine running in the sun - the fan was cutting in and out accordingly but then just stopped leading to the flashing warning light then the permanent light ( 110 degrees!! If the temp warning is accurate)
I remember a friend testing the function of the fan with a paper clip - what was he doing exactly - some sort of short circuit on the thermal switch?? Obviously in the absence of the temp gauge I've got to make sure everything's working.. (last time it was contacts)
Any thoughts appreciated.
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

Judging by the overwhelming response it looks as though I'm alone on this one. The functioning of certain Mk.1 systems is becoming like arcane knowledge!
I'm going to fit a new rad, thermal switch and water pump so I might as well fit a new coolant temp switch ( if I can find one) and test the thermostat. Then at least I'll know everything is working..
Todd

mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

If you take off the plug to the fan switch you will probably find 2 terminals - just bridge these with a paper clip or piece of wire and that will simulate the action of the thermal switch and should start the fan running. If it doesn't, then the fault is somewhere other than the switch...
If yours has 3 terminals (I know my TD does but I have no specific knowledge on differences to the Mk1s) then you need to check for 12V at one of the terminals. This is the feed into the switch. Linking this terminal to either of the other terminals should make the fan run fast or slow.
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

Thanks Mat!

I just disturbed my friend in the process of stripping a V6 XM and he explained similar. Probably is time to overhaul the entire cooling system - the radiator is heading into cactus territory anyway and I've got almost all the bits I need.
Todd

AndersDK
BXpert

Post by AndersDK »

2 points here :

1) the Mk1 may still have the 2 speed fan setup, meaning the radiator sidetank (cars RHS) mounted thermoswitch is of the 3-pin type. The low speed is the usual series resistor setup.
Bridge any of the 2 possible combinations on the 8disconnected) plug and you should find both a low and a full speed setting.

2) When bridging - do NOT use a paper clip - or you will get a permanent image of the paperclip on your fingers :shock: (ouch - ouch :evil: )
Use a purpose made havy gauge bridging wire :lol:

For a quick repair - any standard 2-pin thermoswitch may do simply turning on the fan on high speed. These are available as a standard device for almost any german & swedish car model as well as most smaller PSA variants.
There is only 1 type of 3-pin thermoswitch availabe for PSA cars. Its is most likely NEVER listed for the PSA model you have. But thats the one anyway :wink:
C U / Anders - '90red16riBreak - '91GrisDolment16meteor - Project'88red19trsBreak
dead cars : '89white 16RS - '89antrasitTRDturboEst - '90white19triBreak
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

Anders,
thankyou for the reply. I should never underestimate the store of knowledge in the club!
I'll fold the paperclip back into its normal shape and use a piece of wire then instead. The connection is indeed 3 pin but I did not realise that the fan had 2 speeds - it always seemed a miracle that it came on at all.
I've got a new Lucas switch that I bought off Ebay but I'll test the old one first..
Cheers!
Todd