D Reg BX 19RD Suitability for Veg Oil?

BX Tech talk
BP

D Reg BX 19RD Suitability for Veg Oil?

Post by BP »

Thinking of changing over to a mix of veg oil, diesel and petrol. Any advice or suggestions for modifications or mix ratios would be very much appreciated. May well only do this during summer month.
Brian
pitman
BXpert

Post by pitman »

First of all, I don't know if you still have to register but at least you don't have to pay any taxes if your consumption is below 2000 liters monthly or so.

A real conversion means heating the fuel hose in the engine compartment.

If you don't care much about the engine simply add as much oil as you can start smoothly in the morning.

Normally, you can start adding veg oil when it is warmer than 10°C but there have been also people without conversion adding at about freezing.

I used in summer about 10% veg oil when colder than 15°C and up to 50% when the temperature went higher than 25°C. (Don't ask me now when this has been.)

AND, well ... you should have a Bosch diesel pump as this one tolerates quite a lot of veg oil while with Lucas or Rotodiesel you should really stay always below 5% veg oil or leave it at all.
BX Leader 19 Diesel - 1986
AndersDK
BXpert

Post by AndersDK »

If you have a Bosch diesel pump - then run your BX RD 50/50 straight away no more concern. No need for any elaborate fuel heaters etc.
Then try yourself where the limit is - using more and more veggie. Just remember : never brim the tank, as then you dont have the possibility of adding derv to get back on a less veggie mix ...
Do NOT add petrol :shock:
- as this will cause detonations :roll:

Lots of Xantia owners are running on veggie oil in their XU TD's, which is exactly the same engine as the XUD - apart from the turbo, which only adds more air to "artifically" enlargen the cylinder volume.
C U / Anders - '90red16riBreak - '91GrisDolment16meteor - Project'88red19trsBreak
dead cars : '89white 16RS - '89antrasitTRDturboEst - '90white19triBreak