CX door locks for BX? Possibility of getting remote key fob?

BX Tech talk
andycadabra
BXpert

CX door locks for BX? Possibility of getting remote key fob?

Post by andycadabra »

Having had my second CD player taken, again mercifully without window breakage, I've come to the conclusion that someone has a key that fits my car.

Does any one know if CX door locks work in BX's?. They look the same and are both made by VALEO, but cost a third of the price!

Anyone have some to sell, or part exchange for mine?.

Also, because it has the remote door locking receiver, does anyone know if I could get a remote key fob for it, which I've never had?
Also what are the chances that the thief has a remote key fob that unlocks my car? Should I try to disable it as a precaution?

Thanks
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

Unless you remove the key hole from the door it'll make no difference.

The problem is the door lock knobs in the inside of the doors. Remove them and you can't get out in an emergency.
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

It could just be that whoever is stealing your stereo knows how to get into a hatchback BX in under 10 seconds without a key, without tools and without doing any damage.
Unless you have an estate of course...?
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
andycadabra
BXpert

Post by andycadabra »

Dont quite understand, Guys.
Is there a way of getting into a BX using the interior knobs? - these are no more vulnerable than other cars surely? I'd be hard pressed to hook wire round them as I have when locked out of previous cars.

Do you think its pointless to change locks?
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

If the cars a hatch, you can break into it in under 10 seconds without tools and without doing any damage whatsoever.
It's fairly well known amongst the BX community, and among some toe rags, but being an open forum it would be foolhardy to advertise how to do it here.

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
andycadabra
BXpert

Post by andycadabra »

Thanks for the pointers, and I understand your not wanting to publicise this. Because it doesn't apply to estates, it would seem to involve getting in via the rear tailgate. I'm not sure if this applied in my case because there was actually a PA amp in the boot at the time, which was worth more than the CD player, but not taken, although this could be because it was big, heavy and old.
It does concern me though that my choice of car of the last 13 years is not as secure as I had hoped. I am fairly inventive and could probably find a way to render the car more secure if I knew what the problem was. For instance, In my car customising days I rigged up a cable release, operated from inside the car, to open the boot without a lock on the exterior.
I've been a member of the Forum for about three years now, and I think before that under a different name I forgot!, would you be kind enough to clue me in via a PM?
Rob_e (UK)
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Rob_e (UK) »

That's quite worrying. I have had the BX ten years now and never realised it could be broken into that easily :shock:

Is there nothing that can be done to fix the problem?

Thanks,
Rob
BX19 GTi 8v 89 227k
stuart_hedges
1K Away

Post by stuart_hedges »

Rob_e (UK) wrote:That's quite worrying. I have had the BX ten years now and never realised it could be broken into that easily :shock:

Is there nothing that can be done to fix the problem?
Facetious answer: don't buy an old car!

Seriously, security on anything up to the nineties was a joke. I've never owned a GS/A with functioning locks. The doorkeys for any of the three Rover P6s I've driven will happily open the other two. I'd be surprised if a BX were any better.
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

Yes, there's a simple cure for the problem, I'll send a PM when I get chance to write one! Probably in the wee small hours!

I modded mine, and it works a treat, so well infact that when I lost the keys I couldn't get in the bloody thing... :roll:

M

Post by M »

docchevron1472 wrote:I modded mine, and it works a treat, so well infact that when I lost the keys I couldn't get in the bloody thing... :roll:
And thats when Mr wood wedges and wire coat hanger come into play then. Or Mr Brick and Mr Autoglass :twisted:

I always adopted the principle of lock it, lose it - so i never locked mine and no body touched it, ever.
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

Handily I found the key! So all was not lost and no damage was done.
The last little oink that tried to gain access to my car ended up, er, well, relying on friends to do his shopping for a while.

Rob_e (UK)
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Rob_e (UK) »

stuart_hedges wrote:Seriously, security on anything up to the nineties was a joke.
Well, I appreciate that older cars are generally not that secure, no dead locks etc; so at the end of the day it is only ever going to be as hard to get in as smashing a window; but if it can be done with no tools or damage on the hatch and not on the estate then that must be quite a big flaw. So it would be nice for it to be at least as secure as the estate.

I guess manufacturer don't put that much effort into security. Wasn't there a more modern car not that long ago that turned out to have some flaw which made it possible for people to get in with out doing any damage, I think it was one of the VWs, or possibly ford.

Rob
BX19 GTi 8v 89 227k
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

it CAN be done on the estate but is considerably harder (ie you need a few tools).

Chris, there is a pretty good way to solve the problem so that if your in the know you can still get in! Half the canoe club know how to get into my car, its better than one of them loosing the key!
andycadabra
BXpert

Post by andycadabra »

Hi Vanny - your old doorstop is still making a fine cylinder head!. :D Unfortunately I suspect one of the mechanics in the garage that fitted it (which is in my street) copied the key and is helping himself to my CD players!.

No one seems to have an idea as to whether the CX lock would work for a BX, but it's probably worth taking a punt on.

As for the trick of gaining entry known to some BX owners and toe-rags, I'd be really grateful if someone could PM me to let me know what it is so have I can do something to prevent it being used on mine. DocChevron, you mentioned there was a simple cure for the problem.. please spill the beans!
andycadabra
BXpert

follow-up..

Post by andycadabra »

Just to say I did get the CX door locks and they're exactly the same even though they're about a third of the price of the BX ones on eBay. :D