Cutting out..

BX Tech talk
TheBig-D

Cutting out..

Post by TheBig-D »

My 92 TGD Bx has (another) problem.

Took it to westmid lands safari park yestarday and it cut out 6 times around the animals. Twice in the lion enclosure :shock: :shock: It just wont tick over on a hill... Even the slightest smallest hill and it cuts out. It takes 5-6 attemps to restart.

You can slowly feel the engine slowing down. Then it starts to shake.. coughs then cuts out. Even if i hold the throttle open.

Could it just be the diesel running to the back of the tank or something?

I had £30 of fuel in it 24L i think.

It's so annoying.. :twisted:

Thanks in advance :D
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

Ah, yes, this is familiar. Apart from the wild beasts. Could be various things : the dreaded fungus in the tank or a holed or damaged tank pick-up. The hill situation points towards tank trouble. Try a tank/diesel cleaner to dissolve the crud then failing that you have to lift out the pick up pipe from the opening under the rear seats for inspection ( this is discussed somewhere in the recesses of the BX forum) . Air in the system also possible but my hill issues were related to the above. When there's a air leak it's normally consistant not only angle related.
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

Also and most likely I think, check your fuel feed pipe from under the car, it should go to a joint thingummy on the back of the engine and then up to the fuel filter.

This thingummy is the fuel heater and is a well know trouble spot, especially on hills. Your rubber fuel pipes unless they've been changed will by now have become brittle and hard.

The cure is to replace with new rubber pipe from where it joins on to the "front to rear fuel lines" straight to the fuel filter. Bypassing the dreaded feul heater, thus no further problems from this. :D
They think it's all over, it is now!
ed4ferrets
BXpert

Post by ed4ferrets »

What Ken said!!

Exact symptoms experienced some years ago with my first BX diesel, same cure too 8)
Marty said: "Take some small comfort from the fact that the driver of the other car, having failed the breath test will even now be in a little cell, with luck they will double him up with some mean bastard who will be tattooing a fandango on his arse"

'94 XM 2.1TD Break
'99 Xantia 1.9TD Break (almost there)
'63 Renault Caravelle
TheBig-D

Post by TheBig-D »

Thanks all great advice i will get it sorted. :D

Does any1 know how big my fuel tank is? If i put £20 in it read half a tank.. :shock: Surely i have a dodgy fuel gauge.
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

A TGD probably has a 12 gallon tank - it may have the additional tank in the rear wing which will bring the capacity to 14.4 gallons.

£20 will buy you 3.73 gallons at about £1.18 per litre. I'm not old enough to remember when it would buy 1/2 a BX tank!
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

from the Home Office statistics, petrol was £2.40 a gallon in 1990 (at its lowest) thats what 8.3 gallons for £20? Pretty sure i can remember 1990 (inclusive of what the road where like and the cost of fuel) and i was under the impression you where born pre 80's Jeremy?
mountainmanUK

Post by mountainmanUK »

Eeeeeeeeh, you young 'uns today!

I can clearly remember filling up my first powered wheeled transport, a Puch Maxi moped! :shock: , for the princely sum of 37p per gallon.
That was 1972, when the Labour Party stood up for the working man, and the Tories stood up for the wealthy. 36 years later, only ONE of those has changed.........

Dave