Haynes for BX Turbo Diesel?

BX Tech talk
TB2
BXpert

Haynes for BX Turbo Diesel?

Post by TB2 »

Hello.

Well, I definitely need a repair manual. I started working on the engine today and I don't really get along with everything that's going on in there. I had a quick look at the Haynes home pages (apparently they got two of them) but the only manuals I was able to find were those for the petrol and 16V models in English, and one for a N/A Diesel in French. I also searched ebay but I can't find a repair manual for a BX Turbo Diesel.

Any idea where I can get one? English or German would be fine, I think my French wouldn't suffice though.

Well, today I jacked up the Car and placed the axle stands under those designated jacking points. It seems stable, though I had to readjust the first one when I lifted the other side as it was slightly tilted. Anyways, I removed one wheel and a plastic cover from down there and under that, I saw a toothless belt running over the flywheel over a tensioner to some other chunky piece that is attached to the engine. The belt is in extremely poor condition. I assume that's the one powering the air conditioning, but am I right? Here's a picture:

(Click on pictures for large view)

And a picture of how bad it looks:

Then I removed some of the air hoses at the top to get some space and removed some more plastic covers. Really tricky, I don't think I'll ever get them back in place. Well under those, I found the cambelt. It looks pretty well. Actually, I don't believe it's the one from 1989. It looks like it has been changed recently, but I can't be sure. Some more pictures:

But the problem I have now is that the belt is running through an arch-like thing that seems to be holding the engine in place. Am I supposed to just support the engine from below and then remove that bridge? If I just remove that screw to the left the engine will just fall on one side. Here's what I mean:

Also, I have no idea how to get to the waterpump. It's attached to that smaller gear down there, right?

And there's also this other belt on the other side of the engine. I think that's the HP pump over there, and I feel like that belt needs changing, too. Here's a picture of it:

I know, those are too many questions. I don't really want to bother you people with all those banalities ;) So...

- Can anyone help me finding a manual for this engine?
- Concerning the belt, could it be ok to just leave it alone, or should I change it no matter how good it looks like?
- And where can I get the part numbers for the spares I need so I can order them?

Thanks!
Carl

1989 TRD "Entreprise" Turbo Diesel
1989 16 Valve
---
Parts needed:
- One black leather headrest.
- FDV overhaul kit (95.669.034)
Please contact me through PN if you have any of this.
ellevie
Forum Treasurer

Post by ellevie »

Unfortunately there is no English Haynes manual specifically for the BX Turbo Diesel. Search eBay for "Citroen Diesel Engine" --- you are supposed to use this as a supplement to the manual for the Haynes petrol models.

The arch-like-thing is the top engine mount which needs to come off whilst supporting the engine with a jack. You can then lift and lower the engine slightly to facilitate access to the water pump.

Yes the small toothed gear is part of the water pump.

Yes that's the HP belt on the other side.

You certainly could take a gamble and keep the belt for a while. When I replaced mine, I couldn't tell the difference between the new and old belts. I suspect it had been changed but there was no invoice.

You can order parts fairly cheaply from GSF and EuroCarParts and AEPdirect in the UK.

Register at http://service.citroen.com/ for free. It has illustrated parts lists which are very useful.
David

BX19TRS 118K E Reg 1992-2008
BX19TRS auto abs 96k F Reg
BX19TXD 150k K Reg
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

If its a good car, change the belt, as appearance doesnt meant anything. My one was replaced & it looked brand new & had only covered 13k, however, it was 5 years old, so could break at anytime...

For the cost its just not worth taking the risk in my opinion....

I purchased most of the parts off e-bay for a fraction of what they would cost, however GSF is pretty cheap for the parts that dont crop up on e-bay, such as the tensioner....

Good luck with your decision.

There is a Haynes manual that does cover the n/a & turbo models, i forget what colour it is, i'll have a look & re-post unless someone on here beats me to it...
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
maxgreenwood
BXpert

Haynes Diesel engine manual

Post by maxgreenwood »

Its Haynes 'Citroen Diesel Engine' manual 1984 to 1996 (A to N reg) and is dark blue. No. on spine is 1379 and its ISBN 1 85960 223 1

it covers the 1769, 1905 and the 1769 turbo engines.

i got mine off ebay, they come up quite regularly.

hope that helps!
'92 16TXS (m), Dark metallic green, 74k
'90 16TZS (m), White, 86k
'89 19TRS auto, Olympic Blue, 133k
'88 Saab 900 8v Turbo (auto) 107k Red with Tan leather, lovely drive and well maintained.
'07 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.2 CRDi 85k (m). Practical family wagon
Terry Brooks
BXpert
Location: No 1 at the end of the bar .....@Milton Arms,Rotherham

Re: Haynes Diesel engine manual

Post by Terry Brooks »

maxgreenwood wrote:Its Haynes 'Citroen Diesel Engine' manual 1984 to 1996 (A to N reg) and is dark blue. No. on spine is 1379 and its ISBN 1 85960 223 1

it covers the 1769, 1905 and the 1769 turbo engines.

i got mine off ebay, they come up quite regularly.

hope that helps!
Earlier one is #1379 and ISBN 85010 695 9 and has a grey cover ......it only covers '84 to '90 though.
I've found it OK [so far] for my '92 tzd.
I was given mine by a neighbour who used to have a BX.
Dont let the 2CV fool you,I'm not a hippy,I like violence
TB2
BXpert

Post by TB2 »

I found some other repair manual on ebay. I bought it right away but I have no idea if it's a good one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... :IT&ih=016

Apparently, it covers everything I need, as I have a '89 1769 Turbo.

As for spares, I checked the local online shops but again, I can only find spares for the N/A diesel models. I'll give them a call tomorrow and ask.

Thanks for all your help!
Carl

1989 16 Valve
---
Parts needed:
kole24

Post by kole24 »

Try here http://cx.podolsk.ru/xm/docum/ [/url]

For turbo it is 11th link from top
Last edited by kole24 on Mon May 12, 2008 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

Though it is entirely in French, the Revue Technique manual for the BX Diesel has plenty of useful stuff (some in table form), and covers the model evolution (though with emphasis on French models). It's better organised than Haynes, as well as having some stuff that Haynes doesn't (e.g. the circuit diagrams include the interconnect box and more). Possibly still available in French Hypermarkets, amazon.fr (if still in print), or also through ebay.fr secondhand. Possibly available in German too.
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.
TB2
BXpert

Post by TB2 »

I got myself this "Peter Russek" manual from ebay. It covers pretty much everything. It's really old though (latest edition from 1992) - very old fashioned with a lot of hand drawn pictures. It's good to have as a reference but the layout and arrangement isn't very modern. Still, at least I have a repair manual exclusivley dedicated to the diesel models, even having all information on the TD.

Carl

1989 16 Valve
---
Parts needed:
AndersDK
BXpert

Post by AndersDK »

The timing belt is definately not new by the looks of it. It would have perfectly clean prints on it if it was a new one.
But the fact you dont know is the reason for replacement ...

The BX turbo diesel engine is by far exactly the same as the "standard" normally aspirated diesel engine also found in BX'es.

The main differences are :
Displacement : Turbo = 1.7L, standard = 1.9L
turbo is fitted with 2 extra oil pipes on rear of engine to lube/cool the turbo
turbo has the extra air ducting taking up lots of space
cooling radiator is as large as possible and is special for the turbo
the diesel pump has a built on compensator valve to enrichen fuel when turbo is at work delivering pressure
the clutch is different to cope with the higher pulling torque
the gearbox is special on the gear ratios, to exploit the higher pulling torque
depending on production year, the splines on the CV joints are different

Internally the engine is different on several minor points, to cope with the higher engine power.
But externally the engine & gearbox unit is exactly like the standard one, and so is the auxillary equipment like pump, alternator etc.

Haynes manual 1379 covers the BX n/a & turbo diesel variants found in BX'es and Visa/C15.
Its got a lot of those hard to find details you need when servicing the diesel engine.
C U / Anders - '90red16riBreak - '91GrisDolment16meteor - Project'88red19trsBreak
dead cars : '89white 16RS - '89antrasitTRDturboEst - '90white19triBreak
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

Ah - forgot about Russek - very good on all points mechanical. Again can be found on Ebay (don't think it's still in print - Amazon don't list it but I suspect the Russek website is a better guide to availability new). Not all s/h Diesel Russeks include Turbodiesel details.
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.