Wheel bearing

BX Tech talk
RKM
Confirmed BX'er

Wheel bearing

Post by RKM »

Are front Tizzy-Dee wheel bearings straightforward to change? The haynes manual is pretty evasive on the matter!

Rob
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

Remove:

Hub nut, wheel, brake caliper, brake disc, track-rod end, bottom ball joint, clamp holding hub to strut.

Lift hub off driveshaft and away from car. Either beat the old bearing out with a big hammer, or press it out with (shockingly enough) a press. Hammer or press the new bearing in. (If you're having issues with this bit, take the hub and new bearing to a garage and have them change it. Might cost £5-£10)

Then put it all back together.

[Haynes]Re-fitting is the reverse of removal.[/Haynes]
this might be a signature
ed4ferrets
BXpert

Post by ed4ferrets »

DavidRutherford wrote:
Now why does that ring a bell :? :lol: :lol:
Marty said: "Take some small comfort from the fact that the driver of the other car, having failed the breath test will even now be in a little cell, with luck they will double him up with some mean bastard who will be tattooing a fandango on his arse"

'94 XM 2.1TD Break
'99 Xantia 1.9TD Break (almost there)
'63 Renault Caravelle
mountainmanUK

Post by mountainmanUK »

ed4ferrets wrote:
DavidRutherford wrote:
Now why does that ring a bell :? :lol: :lol:

If it was a real PITA to get it off.....it will most likely be equally f&*^%$ awkward to shove it back together! (and therefore WAYYYYYY too complicated to describe procedurally!) :roll:
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Post by Jaba »

Yes its pretty straightforward. I have done 6 in the last year or so. I have access to a press which makes it much easier.

The benefits are quieter running at speed on long journeys when the bearings, if even slightly worn, seem to get noisier as they warm up and get looser.

I might have two hubs -ABS type - with new bearings for part exchange available soon if that is of any help.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.