Radiator Sizes

BX Tech talk
kiwi
Over 2k

Radiator Sizes

Post by kiwi »

Ok so the heads replaced but that little leak in the lower nearside part of the radiator hhas reapered now the garage told me they spotted it and put some stuff in which they thought may help. Since a new one is $655 over here (a frigin lot of money).

Sitting in my Garage is a BX16RS Radiator which IS smaller than mine (BX19TZS with Aircon) I have dual fans as well. Now the question is will the 16 Rad fit obviously with shifting some hoses (yes).

But would it be sufficant cooling capacity and what risks could I find?
1991 BX19 TZS 04/01/91 (Deceased)
1990 BX19 TRS 27/10/89 (Reborn)
1992 BX19 TXD (Ex UK - K 744 SDF) 15/06/92
1990 BX19 TZS Auto 06/11/1989
1992 BX TZD Turbo Estate (Ex UK) 1/07/91
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

Your risks are overheating leading to head gasket failure and ultimately a wrecked engine . . .

Does anyone in New Zealand repair the things - or adapt something to fit with the same capacity - or make an old fashioned copper one?

However - Citroens were built in France and it gets very hot in the South in summer and they have mountains there and people tow caravans up them without apparently modifying the cooling system - which means that the car probably has a well specified system. I don't suppose your conditions are as harsh as I've outlined - no do you have miles of unrestricted autobahns (on which I think Citroens were tested) - so you may be OK.

Flush it very thoroughly - leave it full of soapy water for some time to try and soften any clogged tubes at the bottom - and fit it - and keep an eye on that temperature gauge. If its not coping the temperature will continue to rise when you're driving at 70 mph on a steady throttle when you'd expect it to remain steady or fall.
Way2go
Over 2k

Re: Radiator Sizes

Post by Way2go »

kiwi wrote:Ok so the heads replaced but that little leak in the lower nearside part of the radiator hhas reapered now the garage told me they spotted it and put some stuff in which they thought may help. Since a new one is $655 over here (a frigin lot of money).

Sitting in my Garage is a BX16RS Radiator which IS smaller than mine (BX19TZS with Aircon) I have dual fans as well. Now the question is will the 16 Rad fit obviously with shifting some hoses (yes).

But would it be sufficant cooling capacity and what risks could I find?
If they've already put Radweld or similar in then you may as well stick with this rad unless untenable as it should eventually congeal around the leak. It doesn't though seem a very professional garage though if they put this stuff in immediately after an engine strip without discussing the problem with you first, as some say it can unfortunately lead to other problems in the waterways. :roll:
1991 BX19GTi Auto
stuart_hedges
1K Away

Post by stuart_hedges »

Sure there are companies over there that re-core radiators?

Last time I had one done was, admittedly, nearly 10 years ago but it only cost me £85. It was an interesting setup and I had a good chat with the guy - it seems he could re-core absolutely anything, as he used to get the radiator core in lengths, cut it to size, repair and repaint the fittings and tank on the one you brought in, and solder it all together.

I just found him in the Yellow Pages - I had the impression that there were outfits like him all over the country. He seemed to just do local work.
kiwi
Over 2k

Post by kiwi »

Hey guys I really want to say thanks for this advice and well its been expensive so far keeping the beast on the road.

jeremy, Lack of temperature gauge is a reason for not having put this rad in before now, Lucky us speed limit is 100kph (60mph) and well the roads comparable to A road naa more like B road in scotland.

way2go, in fairness to the garage they have helped me as much as possible to keep the costs down! Part of the estimate was cleaning of the Radiator which they found the units can no be done the way they normally do them. Probably what dislodged the sludge that was in it before. $655 for a New Rad was not on my lists of affordability!

Stuart, Yes that what I am looking out for! Trouble is its that catch 22 situation about costs.

I think basically the general concensus is we dont actually know it the 16 Rad will be ok! Getting hold of a temperature Gauge is on my list of must does though.
nstarmore
BXpert

Post by nstarmore »

WOW, £260 for a radiator!!! That is a lot, I don't blame you for looking elsewhere, have just looked on the gsf site and a new one from them for your car is £62.50, which coverts to about $158NZ, I don't know what postage is like but surely it would be cheaper to get one sent over than buying one over there.
Nic

- 1995 Xantia SX TD (daily hack)
- 1987 BX 16V (project)
AndersDK
BXpert

Post by AndersDK »

The BX radiator is very simple & square in design. If you find ANY radiator nearly the same size - then it would be easy fitting it using a couple of homemade brackets.

You just need a radiator fairly the same capacity.
The BX16 radiator will kill the BX19 engine, as there is not enough heat transfer capacity in the smaller radiator.
C U / Anders - '90red16riBreak - '91GrisDolment16meteor - Project'88red19trsBreak
dead cars : '89white 16RS - '89antrasitTRDturboEst - '90white19triBreak
kiwi
Over 2k

Post by kiwi »

I get the message 8) basically if I want to cook the head again I put in the BX16 Rad. No way am I doing that.

So far the Rad has shown no sign of leakage and well as for the other cooling problems well the dreaded Tap was a pain before and with it being cold now is probably staying open.

Heck -5c yesterday and the thickest frost seen in a long time is bloody cold, forget the last time I saw cows in a field with an Ice coating before :shock: all though on a plus not that bashes a few kiwi mentality of dont need antifreeze in your car it dont get cold enough :lol:

The other plus was it had been dry so no ice on the roads either...phew.

Basically this saga has now ended I just await the Bill thats due being months end....gulp. :shock: :?