Circuit diagrams Mark 1 and Mark 2 BX14

BX Tech talk
novomanbx

Circuit diagrams Mark 1 and Mark 2 BX14

Post by novomanbx »

Am having problems with getting the right ignition and steering lock for my 1990 BX, Pitman (Member) has asked which series I have (See Technical forum) and I am hoping he has the answer. However, it would help if I can get hold of clearer circuit diagrams I might beable to solve the problem.
Any one been there and got the tee shirt (with the circuits printed on the front!)
AndersDK
BXpert

Post by AndersDK »

Haynes contains a copy of the correct electric schematic, either "all models '87 on" or "BX14 models '88 on".

These schematics covers the later Mk2 style fuses layout, connectors, wiring looms and components, depending on any extra equipment fitted.

If you combine these 2 schematics, you will find almost anything covered in a Mk2 BX.

- but NOT electronic injection systems, as these vary according to model & year.
Only one system is shown for a general idea of the connection & loom layout.
There are however vast difefrences over the various injection systems.

As your '90 BX14 is for the UK market, it will not have (monopoint) injection system and catalyser, but instead the standard carburettor and exhaust.
C U / Anders - '90red16riBreak - '91GrisDolment16meteor - Project'88red19trsBreak
dead cars : '89white 16RS - '89antrasitTRDturboEst - '90white19triBreak
novomanbx

circuits

Post by novomanbx »

[quote="AndersDK"]Haynes contains a copy of the correct electric schematic, either "all models '87 on" or "BX14 models '88 on".

Thanks for the directions, Have now found these, now trying to match the diagram to the replacement Valeo ignition switch steering lock supplied by AEP, must say not having much success. The old and the new look completely different.

If i could work out how to post the different diagrams???? :?:
This is the new one followed by the old one!

any ideas anyone?
AndersDK
BXpert

Post by AndersDK »

They are directly interchangeable - despite the layout and design differences.

Its obvious that the number of cablings have been reduced in the new harness (to save on production cost), but they still provide the 4 switchable positions on the key.

Note that in your RHD UK BX the ignition switch harness uses an extender chord to reach the fuse box in your LH passenger side. Lift out the old cabling and you will find the 2 connectors under the carpeting.
All connectors in the BX are coded by cutouts and taps on the plastic housings to avoid wrong connections.

Final notes :
The old white - and the new black - connectors are the feed points. All 4 possible fitted connector pins are connected to the same point in the fusebox : +12V live. The use of multiple pins & wires are to spread out the electric load, thereby avoiding possible overheating of the connector. On later designs this has been left out as the load never reached the limits anyway.

The old brown - and the new white - connectors are the switched circuits from the various key positions. Again these circuits have been simplified on your new switch harness, but all functions are still there.

Warning : do NOT tap any of these wires as it may lead to a fire. These live battery wires are NOT fuse protected.
They do connect to fused distribution points inside the fuse box though.
C U / Anders - '90red16riBreak - '91GrisDolment16meteor - Project'88red19trsBreak
dead cars : '89white 16RS - '89antrasitTRDturboEst - '90white19triBreak
novomanbx

circuits ignition switch wiring

Post by novomanbx »

Many thanks for the help, it's saved me having to test everything to find out exactly how it works!!!! :D
Will look at asap.
thanks again
novomanbx
novomanbx

ignition switch wiring?

Post by novomanbx »

hello again, just not clear on one point and would appreciate help: the extra floating green single wire which is connected to the white connector at socket number 1? :?
I can't see where this needs to be connected? :?:
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

It's a feed added to later Mk2 switches to feed the ABS circuit, and as such, you can ignore it. If you are can get hold of a Revue Technique for the BX14 there will be goodies there.
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.
novomanbx

circuits ignition switch

Post by novomanbx »

DLM wrote:It's a feed added to later Mk2 switches to feed the ABS circuit, and as such, you can ignore it. If you are can get hold of a Revue Technique for the BX14 there will be goodies there.
Thanks for the tip, I've been looking everywhere for a male connection to mate with it. :? You've saved me alot of time, thanks.
Revue Technique for the BX14 :o I didn't know such a thing existed. By the way what is it? If there's goodies I'm sure I'd be interested.
novomanbx

circuits ignition

Post by novomanbx »

Just to add, job done. veleo part went in v easily. didn't have to reshape fitting :D
Thanks for the help everyone who chipped in.
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

Revue Technique - a French model-specific set of maintenance and information manuals for various cars compiled from a part-work publication. I don't know how long this part-work publication lasted, and I haven't seen it on sale in France when visiting in the last couple of years. If I have the time when briefly in France the weekend after next I might be able to see if there are any copies still around, but time will be tight. The various BX editions or Revue Technique manuals (14, 15/16, 16/19/16v, diesel) used to be sold in hypermarkets when the BX was more recent. For the time being,

http://www.amazon.fr/gp/offer-listing/2 ... 257&sr=8-8

shows a couple of French sellers supplying a s/h copy through amazon.fr, or there are some on ebay.fr, including a buy-it-now for a BX14 mk1 edition (see below).

http://cgi.ebay.fr/Revue-Technique-CITR ... t=][/list]

Some basic knowledge of French is required, but the diagrams and photos (some shared with Haynes and Citroen official manuals, some not) are good. Most of the info is available, and like all manuals it's not infallible, but I like the way it's organised. There are German versions on ebay.de, but the prices seem to be rather higher.... e.g.

http://cgi.ebay.de/Reparaturanleitung-C ... dZViewItem
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.