mis-shapen bonnet

BX Tech talk
Rob_e (UK)
Confirmed BX'er

mis-shapen bonnet

Post by Rob_e (UK) »

No I haven't driven into anything. But over the last few years my bonnet seems to have distorted; from the left hand side it can sometimes look as though the bonnet isn't closed properly as the edge is proud of the top of the wing, there is also a bigger gap along the back edge on the left hand side than I think there should be.
Is this a common problem for the plastic bonnet of the BX, or is it just mine?
Is there anything that can be done about it other than replacing the bonnet?

Thanks,
Rob
BX19 GTi 8v 89 227k
Terry Brooks
BXpert
Location: No 1 at the end of the bar .....@Milton Arms,Rotherham

Post by Terry Brooks »

My '91 tzd bonnet has the same symptoms .........although,having discovered that the L/H wing & the F/bumper was originally red [my tzd is Met. Grey/Black???] ........I s'pect mine has had a front end bang at some time in its chequered history.It also started a strange [unfamilar] rattle about 12months ago ...........it seems it is the bonnet,vibrating on the plasticy grille thingy underneath the windsceen.

T.
Dont let the 2CV fool you,I'm not a hippy,I like violence
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

Are both the hinges free? They can rust up badly and cause the bonnet to do all sort of wierd stuff...
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
Rob_e (UK)
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Rob_e (UK) »

I think the hinges are ok, the bonnet opens and closes freely. It does seem to be the bonnet itself that doesn't fit properly anymore.

Thanks,
Rob
BX19 GTi 8v 89 227k
kermit the frog
BXpert

Post by kermit the frog »

Terry
have you lost the rubber bome thingy that sits in the centre of the plastic water tray behind the top bonnet seal this stops the bonnet from touching the grille thingy.

Regards Kermit :) :)
ALAN S an oracle of knowledge sadly missed by us all RIP Mate
Green Hornet well I don't really know.GS project gone to pastures new
Blue Streak 1996(P) XANTIA VSX TD (130K.)
Terry Brooks
BXpert
Location: No 1 at the end of the bar .....@Milton Arms,Rotherham

Post by Terry Brooks »

:? >hinges< ...>rubber thingy< .... :?
Errr,I dunno ......... :? :oops:
I'll take a look next time I'm using the car [it's garaged in my "lock-up" on the next street a.t.m. ...& I cant be @rsed to walk round to take a look.]
tbh ............I'd put it down to it having had a "front end shunt" at sometime.

T.
Dont let the 2CV fool you,I'm not a hippy,I like violence
AndersDK
BXpert

Post by AndersDK »

Its a small square rubber lump - bit smaller than a matchbox. Fits over the bolthead on each sides wing in the lcation described.
The bonnet is resting on these rubber bongs to help line up with the wings.
C U / Anders - '90red16riBreak - '91GrisDolment16meteor - Project'88red19trsBreak
dead cars : '89white 16RS - '89antrasitTRDturboEst - '90white19triBreak
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

A lot of BXs I've owned have had this "problem", in varying degrees. I personally think there are a variety of causes, and here's a random selection:

1. Bonnet becomes misshapen when closed on a spanner, screwdriver, bolt etc left in the wrong place (Dohhh)

2. Bonnet becomes mishapen because noise insulation is no longer held to the bonnet by metal clips, and starts to get folded over, or just plain loose

3. Petrol air intakes, Diesel air intake boxes, intercooler "hoods" and suchlike don't get clipped down properly after a service and are standing proud of where they should be.

4. The little "bonnet stops" on either side that Anders mentions get lost, or go missing, or aren't siting in the right position.

4. Front outer wing gets "remodelled" during bounce tests on the front suspension (BX wings are a bit prone to slight dents on the top of if the wing if this is done too vigorously, or if the spheres have gone rock-hard . At least the wing distorts : I've yet to hear of a "hands-through-wing" experience on a BX, though.

I don't think anything to do with the scuttle grille could cause the problem, as it's the other side of the bulkhead. but the two plastic/rubber "pins" which hold the scuttle in place sometimes get replaced with something inappropriate, which then sticks out and pushes the bonnet sit out of line.
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.
Rob_e (UK)
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Rob_e (UK) »

docchevron1472
I think you were right, I had another look last night and although the bonnet does not seem to have any resistance when being opened and closed I could see the hinge bracket flexing as the bonnet was closed; on closer inspection there is quite a lot of rust in the piviot of the hinge, so I guess that is the cause.
Is this likely to have permanently distorted the bonnet or with a new hinge would it sit flat again.

Thanks,
Rob
BX19 GTi 8v 89 227k
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

Fairly common.
It should even itself out.
Best thing to do is replace the hinge and see how the bonnet fits.
If it's distorted then place a block of wood on the slam panel on the side affected, then put something heavy (ish) mid way along the length of the bonnet on the same side. leave over night or so and it should sort itself out.
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...