Dip-Stick

BX Tech talk
toddao
BXpat

Dip-Stick

Post by toddao »

When my 1.9D went to have its injection pump timed, they somehow managed to break the tube that the dip-stick runs through.
They tried to order another but apparently only the one for the later models is available.
I can't find any diagram of the assembly and I'm looking for repair solutions as at the moment the hole where the dip-stick goes into the sump is sealed with black goo and of course I've got no idea as to the oil level.. any thoughts appreciated
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
AndersDK
BXpert

Post by AndersDK »

Its the same parts used for D/TD XU7/9
Parts used until sept '86 are obsolete :
1172.83 NFP DIPSTICK LONG 459mm
- UNTIL OPR 03583
1171.50 NFP GUIDE TUBE LONG 183mm DIAM 8X10
- UNTIL OPR 03583

Parts used from sept '86 on are re-designed
1172.93 DIPSTICK LONG INT 500mm
- SINCE OPR 03584
1171.57 GUIDE TUBE LONG 280mm
- SINCE OPR 03584

The later style guidetube is of a different design, but at least you now know the dimensions. May I suggest a dead standard chromed 10mm copper tube for domestic tap water use from your local supplier. These are used for kitchen/bath water taps, easy to dlightly bend into shape, rigid for the purpose and possible to fit a compression ring (by temporarely fitting a compression union on the pipe) to stop it disappearing down into the sump.
C U / Anders - '90red16riBreak - '91GrisDolment16meteor - Project'88red19trsBreak
dead cars : '89white 16RS - '89antrasitTRDturboEst - '90white19triBreak
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

Anders, thanks a lot. It was a strange grey area for me - I'd never thought I'd be facing 'Dip-Stick tube replacement' !
Todd

toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

I know this might be obvious, but that black cylinder that the dip-stick runs through, with the black hose coming off the top - what does it actually do? I can't find any diagrams or explanations for its purpose.
When I'm fitting the new tube, will I have to remove this, and how is this performed? Also the 'slight bend' in the tube - how can I get this correct?

It's interesting with those dates for the parts. My Break was registered
here in early 1987 but they'd finished making Mk.1's by the previous Sept so heaven knows where it was lurking between times. This also makes for problems when trying to order parts ( those that are still available!)
Todd