relocating the hendecapus (octopus + 2 legs)

BX Tech talk
novomanbx

relocating the hendecapus (octopus + 2 legs)

Post by novomanbx »

For anyone who like me keeps getting lost :? when trying to track the lines on the Haynes Manual map of the hydraulic system I hope the diagrams and the photo of where I drilled through the bulkhead to re direct some of the tubes, might be useful.
It did it about a year ago and have had no problems with pressure or air or valve issues mentioned by other members. I didn't renew the leakage and vent pipes which are directly attached to the bottom of the strutts, hence me trying to do that job this last week.
It's worked for me but don't let that stop you from checking it out against the manual, (infact I have to disclaim liabilty and insist that you do check before starting after all the diagrams are artwork 8) inspired by etc etc) ,hopefully my diagrams might make it a bit easier to do and to follow when you actually come to do the job.
Relocating the beast on the ledge just below the main reservoir worked out well. :D
I can easily keep an eye on all of the pipes. As the pipes / tubes get older they fail, going under the car everytime to repair one isn't an attractive option for me so putting them all up on top works for me the best.
Hope the info is of use.
Just to say I drew the beast in two halves to fit it on the page and hopefully make it easier to trace what was what.
Could n't see why Citroen stuck the thing in such an aweful position in the first place!
happy plumbing one and all
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

Well done: a damn sight more accessible, even if it does need its own instruction manual.
Couldn't see why Citroen stuck the thing in such an awful position in the first place!
With my cynical hat on - to produce fairly healthy bills for garagistes in the days when people DID have their cars repaired regardless....

With my 'light of experience" hat on - to piss off certain garagistes and give them yet another excuse to suck their teeth, pronounce gravely about what a pig of a job it is, and then recklessly take limited-life shortcuts to finish the job in under book time, and fit in another three paying jobs (at book rates) in the time "saved"....

With my production engineers hat on (a pretty virtual hat, this one) - to produce a nice neat subassembly to fix in place and connect up along with sundry other piping before the engine & box go in, Job done, heigh-ho! Fit and forget. I suspect some production engineers may suffer from myopia, amnesia etc.....

With my traditionalist hat on - because there's always been at least one octopus assembly in a totally inaccessible place in all hydropneumatic Citroens, hasn't there? It'd be complete sacrilege to change such a thing....

With my linguist's or conspiracy theorist's hat on - to allow the the French to call it one thing (spider), and the rest of the world to call it another (octopus). You should've seen the blank look of bewilderment on that French mechanic's face while I kept on repeating " depannage....le pulpe". "Hein? Quoi?..... Ahhh...... on dit L'ARAIGNEE, Monsieur " (cue globally universal sound of mechanic sucking his teeth & cameo of calling over the rest of the team pull faces, shake heads etc)...

I could go on, but I won't
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.