GRC & Warning Lights

BX Tech talk
Terry
BXpert

GRC & Warning Lights

Post by Terry »

GRC and I are getting on just fine. Lovely car, but a little bit of advice would be very handy.

Running the last six miles home this afternoon the 'check coolant level' light came up, and remained. No other warnings anywhere.

When I got home I checked the reservoir, and the rad level - both are excellent. Well, David topped it up so it'll be good.

Started car again and straightway same warning came up. Should I slip the output pipe off the water pump and check it's actually working, or is there a simpler way.

Any help gratefully received.
Brian
BXpert

Post by Brian »

Hi Terry,

It has been known that the electronic gismo that indicates low expansion bottle water level, sometimes tells lies, due to poor electrical contacts.

This unit is usually located by the left side of the radiator, when looking at the front of the car.

Take off the plug, remove the unit, and carefully clean the contacts of the plug and edge of the printed circuit board, apply a light coating of grease or waxoil, refit the plug and fit the unit back in place.

May do the trick.
ed4ferrets
BXpert

Post by ed4ferrets »

Terry I seem to recall having the same problem a good while ago ... about 2 BX's ago actually! In my case the connectors on the sensor were not properly in place. This is to be found on the left side of the rad close to the cooling fan sensor (assume it's situated the same as n/a diesel :? ). Connectors may be loose or need cleaning, hopefully this will be a simple solution.
Marty said: "Take some small comfort from the fact that the driver of the other car, having failed the breath test will even now be in a little cell, with luck they will double him up with some mean bastard who will be tattooing a fandango on his arse"

'94 XM 2.1TD Break
'99 Xantia 1.9TD Break (almost there)
'63 Renault Caravelle
ed4ferrets
BXpert

Post by ed4ferrets »

Yeah, what Brian said ..... he beat me to it :wink:
Marty said: "Take some small comfort from the fact that the driver of the other car, having failed the breath test will even now be in a little cell, with luck they will double him up with some mean bastard who will be tattooing a fandango on his arse"

'94 XM 2.1TD Break
'99 Xantia 1.9TD Break (almost there)
'63 Renault Caravelle
Terry
BXpert

Post by Terry »

Okay, I got that, and thanks very much. I suppose I should have thought about it, but having been fiddling around in the engine bay, getting some air out of the hydraulic system etc, it makes perfect sense.

So...first thing tomorrow morning I get to it.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Terry, am I right in thinking that GRC is a turbo diesel? If so the coolant level sensor is located on the underneath of the (seperate) expansion tank. It's a small red connector if my memory serves me correctly...

I find that electrical switch cleaner does an excellent job of cleaning contacts, followed by something (as previously mentioned) to keep moisture out.
Terry
BXpert

Post by Terry »

Thanks Mat, when daylight dawns I'll have a good look.

Was looking through Haynes to identify what I'm looking for and could find a TZD engine anywhere. Shouldn't be surprised i suppose when Marty reckons the best use for Haynes is as a jack stand!
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Do you have the diesel 'engine only' manual? That's the one I have and the only reference to the turbo engine is in the supplement. Not a vast source of information but I think there is a cooling system layout in there soomewhere. Best of luck!
Terry
BXpert

Post by Terry »

Mat, I think it's tucked away in GRX so I'll have a look tomorrow morning, but thanks for that anyway
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

Terry, I've experienced this before on another TD - and it is very likely to be dirty/corroded contacts at the sensor under the bottle. While the side-of-the-rad coolant level sensor found on other BX variants can foul up on its prongs and give false alarms, I haven't yet experienced that problem on a TD - fortunate given that removing the sensor is a bit more involved.

Hope the air bleeding was a success.
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.
AndersDK
BXpert

Post by AndersDK »

Yet another possibility :

Completely rotten wires from sensor to the control module. The wiring is about the shiteist you can get - very thin gauge and not protected against water/salt mist ingress at connectors. The copper rots and leaves some strange black remnant that wont do as a current path 8)

Be happy that the circuit is designed to alarm either a low coolant - or a circuit fault. Otherwise you would never know when the coolant gets low that one day in your lifetime ...
C U / Anders - '90red16riBreak - '91GrisDolment16meteor - Project'88red19trsBreak
dead cars : '89white 16RS - '89antrasitTRDturboEst - '90white19triBreak