Spark plug struggle!!

BX Tech talk
fatgeezer
Confirmed BX'er
Location: Eastbourne - where we dont bury the dead,we stand them up at bus stops!!

Spark plug struggle!!

Post by fatgeezer »

Trying to change the plugs on my St. Tropez - but have fallen at the first hurdle. The leads dont want to budge - is it a case of brute force and ignorance or is there a knack? Also are the plugs that deep that I will need a special tool when I do find them?. I have found a plug socket deep in the bowels of my rather skimpy tool box that fits on the plug as they are smaller than 'conventional' plugs. I thought this would be a nice easy job - wrong!!.
1990 BX 14 St. Tropez
1996 Citroen Synergie 1.9 td
1989 Mercedes 300se
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Post by Jaba »

Just grip the plug connectors part way down with some adjustable pipe grips or similar so as not to crush them and go for it.
You need a 16mm deep socket for the plugs, nothing special.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
fatgeezer
Confirmed BX'er
Location: Eastbourne - where we dont bury the dead,we stand them up at bus stops!!

H546 AKR

Post by fatgeezer »

Thanks for the above - it may have seemed a stupid question to ask - but I did'nt want to get too butch with the leads in case something broke (par for the course!!). Job done - new Bosch plugs in now to replace the old NGK's which by the way looked OK with a light coloured coating on the electrodes but had a strong smell of petrol. Is this normal?. I have only taken her round the block but she seems to run better now. I was getting a problem with her getting 'bogged down' when pulling away and having to give more revs or slip the clutch slightly to avoid a stall. Air filter next!!. Thanks again.
1990 BX 14 St. Tropez
1996 Citroen Synergie 1.9 td
1989 Mercedes 300se