4X4 Query and Update

BX Tech talk
cxprestigeauto
Confirmed BX'er

4X4 Query and Update

Post by cxprestigeauto »

Well I have now got to grips with the 4X4 estate after getting back of holiday:

Good news: All good underneath and on top. No rust and no damage. Interior excellent. Managed to remove immobiliser and get the car to start on the key as Citroen intended! Headlight now fixed back into position with no problems. All the electric windows work and so do all the heater controls :D .

Bad news: O/S front CV gaiter split, front discs and pads very iffy, VERY low oil, water and LHM! Centre section of exhaust blowing. Tyres old and will need replacing even though there is still lots of tread. Windscreen washer motors don't work for front or rear wipers, rear wiper also dead. Basically the car needs a VERY through service and a good hydraflush! The exhaust I can repair with a quick bit of welding. The underside shows quite a few leaks of various lubricants so need to work out if these are recent or longterm accumulations :roll:

Query: Are the CV gaiters on 4X4 the same as the standard FWD cars? Are the front discs and pads the same. Is the failure of windscreen washer motors common?

All comments gratefully received.

Rob
CX 25 IE Pallas auto 1985
Banham Sprint Kit Car (Frogeye Sprite)
Renault Modus 1.5 106 dci (Company Car)
jonathan_dyane
BXpert

Post by jonathan_dyane »

Hi Rob; doesn't sound too bad!

According to the free citroen parts website http://service.citroen.com the gaiters are same as normal ABS type, part no 3293 91 (30 quid!).

Confusingly however, GSF list gaiters only as GTI/16V/TD and don't differentiate between ABS and not (£7.50).

I would put my money on the GSF GTi type fitting...

The good news is that discs and pads are the same, and the washer pumps do die but are shared with some peugeots and are fairly cheap.

The rear wiper tends to seize then burn the motor out, but if your lucky it could be the wiring twixt hatch and body. It's not required for MOT in any case...
"Boring damned people. All over the earth. Propagating more boring damned people. What a horror show. The earth swarmed with them." -Charles Bukowski
AndersDK
BXpert

Post by AndersDK »

Agree with jonathan.

My own experiences with breaks are that the rear wiper axle seizes. But the motor usually survives, because of the rather high ohmic losses in cabling and connectors all the way out to the rear. Rarely the fuse blow - but the rear connector found in RHS rear light cluster may do so :roll:

The sized wiper motor axle is perfectly serviceable with some patience and TLC. Buy a standard assortment of those small O-rings for home purpose. There will always be a couple of sizes suitable for sealing of the axle on the rear hatsch glass where its fitted.
C U / Anders - '90red16riBreak - '91GrisDolment16meteor - Project'88red19trsBreak
dead cars : '89white 16RS - '89antrasitTRDturboEst - '90white19triBreak
cxprestigeauto
Confirmed BX'er

Post by cxprestigeauto »

Thanks guys,

a little tinkering post MoT me thinks. I already have a big box of 'O' rings so OK there.

Gaiters were GTI type. Excellent quality from GSF.

Rob
CX 25 IE Pallas auto 1985
Banham Sprint Kit Car (Frogeye Sprite)
Renault Modus 1.5 106 dci (Company Car)