4X4 Driveline

BX Tech talk
mountainmanUK

Post by mountainmanUK »

Hi Rob,
I've just had to sort out a few problems with rear-end electrickery for Monica's MOT.
I recommend taking out the passenger side rear light cluster, and cleaning, spraying, etc. ALL the plug connectors in there (There are quite a few!). Also check the earth point there too, as that was the cause of my problems (no brake lights and tail lights flashing with indicators).

Funnily enough I also have a fault with my rear wiper! The motor works, but only slowly and the blade refuses to complete a full "cycle"! It's never worked properly since I bought the car 18 months ago. I've trid squirting WD40, Plusgas, and even a little 3-in-1 oil into every orifice I can find, including down the drive spindle, but it's still the same! I suspect that the motor itself may be "tired"!

Good luck,

Dave
cxprestigeauto
Confirmed BX'er

Post by cxprestigeauto »

Thanks for the tip on the light clusters. I will give both sides a good go over with the scraper and the contact cleaner.

My wiper motor was solid and there was evidence of water penetration into the gearbox but following a little bit of 'persuasion' :shock: and lubrication of the linkages it was possible to turn the armature such that the wiper spindle rotated freely. At this point I thought I'd cracked it :) but no, reconnection still gave no life so I am now looking for a new assembly :(
CX 25 IE Pallas auto 1985
Banham Sprint Kit Car (Frogeye Sprite)
Renault Modus 1.5 106 dci (Company Car)
AndersDK
BXpert

Post by AndersDK »

Rob -

1) Is that rear wiper the early type with external drive mechanism rods ?
2) - or is it the later type with all mechanical bits bulit into a compact "gear"house - only leaving the wiper arm axle accessible from oputside ?

In case of 1) the motor may fit from a standard front or saloon rear wiper.
In case of 2) the drive assembly may fit from a similar compact saloon rear wiper - you only have to swap the mounting bracket.

Consequently there will be at least 5 different wiper assemblies around.
C U / Anders - '90red16riBreak - '91GrisDolment16meteor - Project'88red19trsBreak
dead cars : '89white 16RS - '89antrasitTRDturboEst - '90white19triBreak
mountainmanUK

Post by mountainmanUK »

Good points there, Anders! :D Mine is definitely the "later" model (all-hidden inside the housing)

@Rob,
If you decide to go for that Rear wiper motor off the Bay of E, I won't bother bidding against you! :wink:
At least my motor does work, partly, and it would be a little silly for us to outbid each other.
Cheers
Dave
cxprestigeauto
Confirmed BX'er

Post by cxprestigeauto »

Thanks guys.

Artic-steel has offered me a motor 8) So I am now sorted.

For the record it is 2) on Anders list.

Bid away my good man.
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

Dont bother bidding Dave, PM me a bit before the national and I'll bring a working one.
It's used admitedley, but it does what it says on the tin.
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
mountainmanUK

Post by mountainmanUK »

docchevron1472 wrote:Dont bother bidding Dave, PM me a bit before the national and I'll bring a working one.
It's used admitedley, but it does what it says on the tin.
You are a gentleman and a scholar, Chris! :D
Cheers!!

Dave
cxprestigeauto
Confirmed BX'er

Post by cxprestigeauto »

Well the fog lights now work after a real battle!

Took it all apart and found internittent power so check all the connections ans eventually got power. Trouble was that there was only just enough power to show on the meter, plug in the bulb and nothing!

Eventually traced a short length of wire with high resistance between the connector into the bulb holder and a multipin connector in the rear N/S light body cavity. Replaced the wire and connectors in the multiping blocks and job done.

Now have MoT!

My next trouble is the gear lever which is very 'waggly' I suspect a bush is worn? Any thoughts and if so where can I get one!?

Rob
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

Is sloppy front to back, side to side, or both?
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
cxprestigeauto
Confirmed BX'er

Post by cxprestigeauto »

Worse side to side but generally sloppy.

I have not taken it apart yet (don't want to immobilise the car) but am now coming to the end of the list of jobs. The rear wiper will soon be replaced just leaving the gearlever and the new cambelt. The belt is sat on the bench waiting for a quiet evening.