Plip?

BX Tech talk
stuart_hedges
1K Away

Plip?

Post by stuart_hedges »

I had a very clumsy half-hour on Saturday, during which I broke a pint glass (a CAMRA Sussex beer festival one, which I was quite upset about), cut myself on the broken glass, ruined my lunch (the pasta went soggy while I was stemming the flow of blood) and then dropped my car keys. They landed on the pavement plip-down and smashed the plip so I no longer have remote locking :(

Does anyone have a spare plip with matching roof-mounted sensor that I can buy?

Or, better yet, does anyone know if they are wired up in the same way as other cars? What I'd really like to do is get a plip and sensor from something like a scrap ZX, as they are much smaller and easier to carry around in your pocket. Will this be a straight swap?
jonathan_dyane
BXpert

Post by jonathan_dyane »

Sounds like a bad day ;-)

My old BX had the ZX style small plip, so they are certainly compatible. See here for how to program plips.

If you like, I have an old style plip lying around, which I could post to you if you want a mess around and try to make one out of two, but you'd have to give me a couple of weeks to find it...
"Boring damned people. All over the earth. Propagating more boring damned people. What a horror show. The earth swarmed with them." -Charles Bukowski
AndersDK
BXpert

Post by AndersDK »

The plips are easy to re-program as pr Jonathans link.

They suffer a few standard problems when they stop functioning :
1) check battery cells (replace)
2) check switch point for dry solder joints
3) check indicator LED and IR-led and resistor for dry solder joints
4) check transmitter charge electrolytic capacitor for dry solder joints
C U / Anders - '90red16riBreak - '91GrisDolment16meteor - Project'88red19trsBreak
dead cars : '89white 16RS - '89antrasitTRDturboEst - '90white19triBreak
citroen7
BXpert

Post by citroen7 »

if you take out the reciever there is a serial number on it take this to a main stealer and they will order you a new one from froggy land i cannot rember the price but it was not silly :D and it was a new style one !
stuart_hedges
1K Away

Post by stuart_hedges »

AndersDK wrote:They suffer a few standard problems when they stop functioning :
1) check battery cells (replace)
2) check switch point for dry solder joints
3) check indicator LED and IR-led and resistor for dry solder joints
4) check transmitter charge electrolytic capacitor for dry solder joints
5) Being smashed to bits.

Citroen7, that's good news - I'll give my local one a buzz tomorrow. If the price is astronomical, I might well take Jonathan up on his kind offer.

I've actually never had a car with remote locking before but I was getting to really like it - especially as the BX bootlid doesn't have a keyhole. It's nice to be able to get stuff out of the boot, close it, lock the car and walk away without having to step into the road and go back round to the driver's door again to lock up.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

From memory I was quoted £46 for a new Plip unit, fortunately I managed to get a key fob and reciever from a scrapyard for the grand some of £2...

But onto more important things - where are you going to get a new pint glass? :)
stuart_hedges
1K Away

Post by stuart_hedges »

mat_fenwick wrote:But onto more important things - where are you going to get a new pint glass? :)
Well, I'll never get another Sussex Beer Festival 2007 one, and I missed it this year :( I will make a date for 2009.

There is a very good reason why I usually drink beer from a tankard!
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

Bad luck! Personally I'd find another, strip it out and put it in a new case. Pug 405's use the same ones, and I expect 309's of the same era used them too.

Mine was broken, got a 405 one off ebay for £4, switched the internals over and hey presto!
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)