WEBER 32-34 DRTC/100 A23D

BX Tech talk
(CZ)enda
Confirmed BX'er

WEBER 32-34 DRTC/100 A23D

Post by (CZ)enda »

What is the purpose of an electric contact on the carburettor? It is a solenoid valve, but.... Is it supposed to be open or closed with ignition on?
:?
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

Ford used electric actuation of the choke on a 1300S Fiesta, Renault loved them and used them for throttle control - 2 of them I think on a 21 auto - one for air conditioning and another for power steering - set to increase the idling when one or both operated and prevent stalling. Mine had neither auto or PAS and just stalled all the time!

jeremy
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

My Hyundai Stellar had one on the carb and all it did was open when the igintion was turned one. I could never see the point of it myself as it had a mechanical fuel pump, so as soon as the engine was turned off the flow would stop anyway. :?
mnde
Meteor Man
My Cars: 2007 Citroen Xsara Picasso 1.6 16V VTX
1982 Citroen GSA Spécial Estate - gone to a new home
1991 Citroen BX16 TGS Meteor - still out there somewhere!

Post by mnde »

It's also called the idle cut-off solenoid.

It's purpose is to cut off the fuel supply instantly, so the engine doesn't "run-on" after the ignition is turned off.

Mark.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

I've always thought that an engine shouldn't run on unless the timing was out. Is that not necessarily the case? :?
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

Running on can be caused by many things, wrong heat range of spark plug, carbon in the combustion chamber, incorrect octane rated fuel, hot running due to air leaks or weak mixture, overheating engine, high idle speed to list a few. Some carburrettor engines are prone to it and have a special valve connected to the inlet manifold to let air in and in effect cut off the fuel supply.

My Renault 21 did it for most of the time I had it without any apparent damage. It was so bad at times that I could get out, lock the doors and walk away with it still spluttering.

jeremy
(CZ)enda
Confirmed BX'er

Post by (CZ)enda »

Thanks a lot!
It seems the thermostatic capsule works (surprise!)...
We shall see...