Strange running!

BX Tech talk
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Strange running!

Post by cavmad »

I`ve noticed recently when dark that the dashboard lights (i.e light up the clocks) flicker very quickly all the time whether at standstill or driving pretty quickly even at constant speeds.
Prior to having noticed this I found the car idled a little erratically which, whilst not a massive problem, was bloody annoying all the same. I`d put this down to using Mr Aldi`s finest motor spirit but now I think the two maybe connected.
If I press the electric window switch everything goes dim and the interior fan goes much slower which to me indictaes something electrical.
Any ideas please and any advice on how potentially bad this could get would be appreciated because I only need the car for probably about 3 more weeks then it`s getting retired.
Vauxhall apologist.
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

Amongst hundreds of other problems I had this with my CX. Turned out to be the alternator.
They think it's all over, it is now!
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Ah, I`ve had my suspicions of the alternator before. Oh well, I`ve promised myself I won`t spend any more money on the car so it`s carrying my boost pack in the boot and fingers crossed.
It`s actually been quite relaxing in a strange sort of way reminding myself I won`t be spending anymore on the car as if it breaks down or knackers up I don`t care too much and it`ll be an earlier bath than planned for it.
Then it`ll get left somewhere as a spares source for my next one.
I take it the alternator could effect the tickover speed too then Ken?

BTW you have a private message mate.
Vauxhall apologist.
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

I've got a few spare alternators if you get really adventurous! Remember most likely situation is that the battery will run out on the motorway in the dark and pissing rain, and believe me thats no fun at all!
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

I had an alternator fail on my BX TD. This one would give a high voltage and the headlights would work better and the wiper go beserk. The battery started to chuck out acid but what was noticeable was that on a steady throttle you could feel this thing change voltage as the load changed on the engine - and this is what led me to change the thing in the middle of my holiday - as it felt as though I had a mild misfire!

Don't recall any idling problems though.

Is your car petrol?

jeremy
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Diesel, Jeremy, but still noticeable running, or rather idling, problems. Cheers for the offer Vanny but I`m going to just run it into the ground now. I think I have a spare alternator for it somewhere in the midst of that mountain of spares but it`ll only get fitted in an extreme emergency.
Though in my ever changing world when it becomes my spares car shortly I may just have a go at some of the jobs that need doing just to see if I can fix them myself. That way in the likley event I cock up it won`t matter as I don`t plan to use the car again anyway.
Some sort of crazy logic there I believe!
Vauxhall apologist.