Diesel clutch?

BX Tech talk
stuart_hedges
1K Away

Diesel clutch?

Post by stuart_hedges »

I'm looking about for a clutch kit, hoping to get one on ebay cheaper than from Citroen.

Is the clutch from a 19D also suitable for my 17TD? I am confused by this listing, which seems to suggest it's not, despite the fact that it will fit turbo engines and 1.7 engines (although perhaps not the 1.7TD) in other cars.
mountainmanUK

Post by mountainmanUK »

I got mine from GSF, as one that I'd bought earlier off eBay being totally different!
AFAIK the 17TD one is different from the 19, but I'm not 100% on that!
No doubt someone more clued-up will be on to tell you the gospel on it, Stu! :wink:

Dave
jonathan_dyane
BXpert

Post by jonathan_dyane »

Hmm, AFAIR it *is* different on TD cars, and furthermore there is an early and late type (changeover 1991ish?)...
"Boring damned people. All over the earth. Propagating more boring damned people. What a horror show. The earth swarmed with them." -Charles Bukowski
mountainmanUK

Post by mountainmanUK »

Stu, the TD clutch is 15mm bigger than the "standard" one. (215mm as opposed to 200mm)
I think the change took place in Jan 92, as models AFTER then were supposed to all have the larger plate.
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

The standard diesel clutch can't take the torque which the Turbodiesel develops, so I'd avoid this one unless you're a masochist. Having said that, neither GS & F or ECP have any TD clutches in stock at the moment.
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.
stuart_hedges
1K Away

Post by stuart_hedges »

I wasn't intending on buying that one, I was just confused by the list of cars - if it's OK in a Pug 306 1.9TD surely it would be OK for a BX 1.7TD? I've also noticed there seem to be different ones for the early and late-type gearboxes - probably the same change that jonathan_dyane is thinking of. I can pinpoint this change fairly accurately as it happened between David R's F-plate DTR and my G-plate TZD :)

It's not urgent, but will need doing at some point so if any of you eagle-eyed ebay watchers spot a suitable kit please let me know!
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

Clutches often come in kits - plate, presser and release bearing - and there is a change in the release bearing in about 1994 on the NA diesels for example - so care must be taken to get the right bits.

Have a look at the Quinton Hazell catalogue - and see the what fits what.

www2.qha.com/catalogues/QH08.pdf
stuart_hedges
1K Away

Post by stuart_hedges »

Thanks Jon, that's great. So I need to be on the lookout for a BXTD/16v one?

Any other Peugeot/Talbot/Simcas that used the same one? Just to give me a few more search terms?
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

Just to add to all this very useful information, the clutch kits for almost all (I believe it's all) 1.9TD models will not suit, as they use a pull-type clutch rather than a push-type clutch.

That said, the friction plate is identical, it's just the cover and the release bearing which is utterly different.
this might be a signature