Changing fuel filter

BX Tech talk
ed4ferrets
BXpert

Changing fuel filter

Post by ed4ferrets »

It's the later type on diesels with filter and thermostat housing together.
Is it just a case of removing the torx screws holding the top of the housing in place, swap old filter for new and hey presto........ or is it a more involved procedure with possible pitfalls?
Marty said: "Take some small comfort from the fact that the driver of the other car, having failed the breath test will even now be in a little cell, with luck they will double him up with some mean bastard who will be tattooing a fandango on his arse"

'94 XM 2.1TD Break
'99 Xantia 1.9TD Break (almost there)
'63 Renault Caravelle
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

I think that's about it, though draining any water from the housing at the same time might be a good idea.
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.
ed4ferrets
BXpert

Post by ed4ferrets »

Cheers David, just didn't want to start something then find I need a gasket or anything else not to hand!
Marty said: "Take some small comfort from the fact that the driver of the other car, having failed the breath test will even now be in a little cell, with luck they will double him up with some mean bastard who will be tattooing a fandango on his arse"

'94 XM 2.1TD Break
'99 Xantia 1.9TD Break (almost there)
'63 Renault Caravelle
RichardW
BXpert

Post by RichardW »

The gasket comes as part of the new filter, but as ever, this operation is not as easy as it looks :evil: The dome on the top of filter contains a fair bit of diesel which usually spills out all over the engine, towards the clutch :cry: I usually try to ease the lid up and slip in a thin screwdriver to hold the filter against the lid till I can get it over a bowl to catch the diesel - but then this has failed after the filter let go anyway, plopped back into the bowl, and splashed even more diesel out :twisted: You will soon see if there is any water at the bottom of the bowl once the filter is out.

Hmm - thinking about it, the only thing I haven't tried is opening the drain screw then just slightly lifting the lid and waiting for the diesel to drain out. Perhaps this would work - normally nothing comes out of the drain screw as it's a sealed system and you need to pump the primer to get anything to come out of the drain.
I NEED a BX TD.
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

RichardW wrote:Hmm - thinking about it, the only thing I haven't tried is opening the drain screw then just slightly lifting the lid and waiting for the diesel to drain out. Perhaps this would work
This does work. If the piece of drain tube on the bleed screw is missing then a length of old washer hose will work. Open the drain bleed screw fully, and just break the seal on the lid. Once the diesel has drained out the filter change can be done much more easily.

You can also pour the drained diesel fuel back into the tank rather than all over the engine, which is good news given the volume of fuel the filter housing holds.
this might be a signature
RichardW
BXpert

Post by RichardW »

D'OH!!!!

I've done about 10 on various Xantia and ZXs and never thought of this before. Geez, numpte of the week award for me :oops:
I NEED a BX TD.