injector pump timing

BX Tech talk
bill o
Confirmed BX'er

injector pump timing

Post by bill o »

the pump on my 1.7 turbo diesel started leaking fuel via the pipe to the intercooler,as i had a spare pump from a former tzd which i had reconditioned i fitted this in its place.
i marked the position of the pump flange and fitted the replacement to the marked position.
the car runs fine but my mpg is down.
the haynes manual refers to a plastic disc with a timing value ,but this is not present,the car is a 1992 and the recon pump was from a f reg which would be about 1987,i note that pumps were modified about that year,although it does have the inspection plug on the top. sorry i forgot to mention both pumps are lucas roto diesel. any advice would be welcome,thanks
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

The timing is probably slightly retarded from where it was. I'll bet the engine sounds softer doesn't it?

Simply mark where it is now (so you have a reference) and advance it a bit. See what it sounds like. (engine at operating temp) Keep advancing until you get the characteristic clatter of a diesel engine. Lock it off there, and see what the MPG is like. It should improve. If you've only improved a bit (not as much as you know it can be) then advance it a smidgen more and try again. You should find an optimum point. Once you have, mark it again.

PS. F-reg is August 1988 - July 1989.
this might be a signature
AndersDK
BXpert

Post by AndersDK »

I most certainly agree with David R. here.

Forget about the tedious and bothersome "calibration" procedure on the dieselpump - and go for the intuitive by ear adjustment. Its much easier than you think.
Very much like the good old petrol carb setting procedures.
After some trial and error you may find a method to adjust the pump on the running engine, but go for the static adjustment first to get the gripes of it.

I would like to add a further note though : be sure the coldstart circuit has released - as this evidently modifies the timing.
VERY important that any adjustments are done with a working hot engine.
C U / Anders - '90red16riBreak - '91GrisDolment16meteor - Project'88red19trsBreak
dead cars : '89white 16RS - '89antrasitTRDturboEst - '90white19triBreak
bill o
Confirmed BX'er

injector pump timing

Post by bill o »

thanks for the advice,i will give it a try.do you know which direction to turn the pump to advance the timing,thanks.
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

if you're standing at the front of the car looking at the engine, the top of the injection pump goes back (towards the head) to advance.

Or, The opposite direction to engine rotation, to put it another way.
this might be a signature