my car has a lucas pump will bio diesel damage the seals

will i have swap it for bosch pump ?
Citroen BX

Origami in plastic and steel

^^ ^^^^bx>
jonathan_dyane
BXpert

Post by jonathan_dyane »

If by biodiesel you mean stuff which has been properly chemical 'made' your BX will run on it fine, *but* it will eventually kill the pump seals, as they are not bio-resistant. But then neither are Bosch seals...

I would recommend that you change your fuel filter regularly, and carry a spare in case it blocks.
"Boring damned people. All over the earth. Propagating more boring damned people. What a horror show. The earth swarmed with them." -Charles Bukowski
classic2cv
BXpert

Post by classic2cv »

Hi Jonathan

yes the biodiesel has been properly chemically made from rapeseed oil

but how long will the seals last ?

I thought the bosch pump seals would be ok
Citroen BX

^^ ^^^^bx>
jonathan_dyane
BXpert

Post by jonathan_dyane »

Hard to pinpoint exactly, but probably more years than months...

Bosch pumps are favoured because they tolerate straight vegetable oil far better than Lucas pumps which tend to suffer catastrophic mechanical failure, but sadly their seals are still not resistant to either vegetable oil or biodiesel.

I would go as far as saying that there is little or no point in you changing to a Bosch pump as a biodiesel user.

If it makes you feel better I have used a good bit of biodiesel through the Lucas pump in my 205, and it doesn't leak. Yet...

Its more of a long-term problem tbh, but something to be aware of. Also, be vigilant, because if the drive shaft seal begins to leak, the biodiesel will get on the timing belt and soften it.
"Boring damned people. All over the earth. Propagating more boring damned people. What a horror show. The earth swarmed with them." -Charles Bukowski
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Bio diesel from garages can vary enormously in quality too. I've spoke to people locally who've given up on it because sometimes it's fine and other times it's awful apparantly. I expect if you can make it and test it (prior to use) yourself it might nmot be too bad.
Vauxhall apologist.
mountainmanUK

Post by mountainmanUK »

If it helps, I have been running my TXD 17TD on a mix of approx 60:40 Diesel:WVO (waste veg oil = used chip-pan oil) for the past 5/6 months, with absolutely no ill effects.
My BX has a Bosch pump, and incidentally, passed her MOT emissions check only last week, with a 50:50 mix in the tank! The tester commented (for the second year running!) just how clean her emissions are....much better in fact than the 3 other more modern diesel cars he had tested that day!
As for any long-term effects, I am keeping my fingers crossed, but I can definitely say that I, personally, have suffered nothing bad so far!

Forecourt-bought Biodiesel?? Never tried it, so I can't really comment!

Eat up yer chips, lads! :lol:

Dave
stuart_hedges
1K Away

Post by stuart_hedges »

Do you have a friendly local chippy, Dave? And how do you filter it?
mountainmanUK

Post by mountainmanUK »

I have quite a few friendly relatives and neighbours, Stu! :wink:
Been trying to source a local chippy for a lot more quantity, but alas, without success (so far). Most takeaways around here use oil which comes in solid, block form (a la Lard!), so therefore useless for me!.

Believe it or not, I filter through 2 sheets of ordinary Kitchen Roll (Tesco Value, in fact!) which seems to do the job well. I've checked the diesel filter a couple of times since I started burning chip-oil and found it to be clean!
kermit the frog
BXpert

Post by kermit the frog »

all you potential bio diesel people check out this web site.

www.etruk.com

its very informative and given the current and future high price of fuel well worth a gander.

Regards Kermit :) :)
ALAN S an oracle of knowledge sadly missed by us all RIP Mate
Green Hornet well I don't really know.GS project gone to pastures new
Blue Streak 1996(P) XANTIA VSX TD (130K.)
classic2cv
BXpert

Post by classic2cv »

i'd be very temped to make some bio diesel myself

if running around 50% would be ok (30% or lower in winter)

it would make a great saving (depending on how long the pump would last)

and how much it would cost to replace or rebuild it :?
Citroen BX

^^ ^^^^bx>