bx suspension pipe

BX Tech talk
mountainmanUK

Post by mountainmanUK »

roverman wrote:Is repiping something that a simpleton (like me) could do, I have lately become more adventurous but it still puts the fear of god into me. I do have a nice big space to do it in and the access to a hydraulic lift and tools (albeit only on a sunday). Whats the timescale to do them in? imlimited to a 6 hour stint.

I do have the pipes which are pre"bent" genuine ones from citroen.

Thanks.
Yes Tim......I reckon even you (j/k) could manage a pipe swap, especially seeing as you have a lift and tools! It's really only a case of unscrewing both ends of the old pipes and removing them (checking the route that they run), then stick the new ones in their place! Best to get a handful of pipe seals (the little green ones, available from Cit dealers or GSF or Pleiades, around 40p each). Once you've got the new pipes fastened, just clip them back into the plastic mountings on the underbody.
Probably best to do 'em one at a time, so ya don't get 'em mixed up!
I've not had to do them on Monica (yet!) but done a few repipes on other cars. Biggest problem is usually access and working space, but if you've got a hydraulic lift then you're sorted mate!

Dave
ted n terri

Post by ted n terri »

hi everybody
you've been a great help. we've learnt more info in one day than we have in two years .didn't know there were so many friendly people about. we'll have a ring round and get things started and see if we can get her back on the road, and to think someone gave us this car in the first place and we've had two glorious years so far. once again thank you all for your help and advice will update when we're done :D
ted n terri
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Thanks Dave, when the 16vs road legal again I will have a go at repipeing it myself, if it goes wrong its at least in the right place lol
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Tim, even I did a re-pipe. Under the careful watch of the legendary Vanster I asked him not to do it for me but just to observe. Can't believe how easy it was and I'm sure you can do it.
Vauxhall apologist.
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Well theres only one way to find out, may draft Mr Fearn in to "oversee", he owes me a favour :D
mountainmanUK

Post by mountainmanUK »

The Keeper of the Club Goat wrote:
Tim, even I did a re-pipe.
Wow, Billy......I'm WELL impressed mate! Did you manage to resist using your big hammer too? :wink:
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

AndersDK wrote:Pretty much the same - is not good enough to me :roll:
Jeez man, dont beat yourself up over it.
We all make mistakes.
It's called being human.
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Post by Jaba »

TnT If it were my car - a 92 TZD then I would have a look at the four pipes to see if they all need replacing. They all had the cit protective coating and only rust through if the coating gets damaged somehow.
If only one pipe is rusty then just change the one pipe and save yourself some money.
Of course if you want to do a proper job and get them all done at the same time then please ignore my suggestion.

Also make sure that whoever does the job for you knows if the car has ABS or not because - as previously mentioned - one of the pipes is a larger diameter on an ABS car.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
kermit the frog
BXpert

Post by kermit the frog »

Sorry Anders for the confusion
Only thing i forgot which may be very relevant is that the pipes they looked up for my car also a TZD
It has ABS so the pipes may terminate in a different place. :oops:

Ted n Terri
I hope i havent thrown a spanner in the works but if you ring around give them the details of your vehicle so they can get you the correct parts.
If you use the prices as a guide and get them to sort out which ones are correct for your car.

Sorry.

Regards Kermit :oops:
ALAN S an oracle of knowledge sadly missed by us all RIP Mate
Green Hornet well I don't really know.GS project gone to pastures new
Blue Streak 1996(P) XANTIA VSX TD (130K.)
kermit the frog
BXpert

Ted n Terri

I would just like to say that we are a very friendly bunch on here.
And if we can help we will.
I would like to welcome you both to the gang and even though your first experience has been about a problem hopefully we have steered you in the right direction.
So on behalf of us all on the forum WELCOME

Regards Kermit :) :)
AndersDK
BXpert

Post by AndersDK »

Kermit : you have done nothing wrong. You certainly did draw my attention to the fact, that the brake valve is located - shall we say - a wee bit different on a RHD - from my LHD's :lol:

Consequently the piping is not the same length, not the same part no's, and (LHD pipes) even not available in UK :?
As for the ABS piping they have all become obsolete for the LHD versions, and a quick look tells me that only few of the RHD ABS pipes are still available.

But thats certainly no problem for the gang of the many skilled BX'ers here - as we do our own pipes - or find other (i.e. Xantia) pipes that are only a few mm's different in length.

Doc : thanks for the prescription :wink:
C U / Anders - '90red16riBreak - '91GrisDolment16meteor - Project'88red19trsBreak
dead cars : '89white 16RS - '89antrasitTRDturboEst - '90white19triBreak
kermit the frog
BXpert

Thanks Anders

I was getting a little worried that i had got the wrong info and was confusing everybody. :oops:
The Xantia option looks interesting may look further into that. 8)

Regards Kermit :) :)
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

AndersDK wrote: Doc : thanks for the prescription :wink:
I recommend a bottle of scotch, cures all ills so it does!

Availability of pipes is neither here nor there really, if you make your own then they are all available!
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

German Swedish and French, and Eurocarparts still had most of the front-rears in stock recently, with the possible exception of the ABS brake return pipe. Useful if there's a branch near.
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

AndersDK wrote: - or find other (i.e. Xantia) pipes that are only a few mm's different in length.
Does this really work, ie is the pre-bending the same route as the BX? :?

If not, with the steel pipe, the risk of fracturing must be high in trying to adjust bends that have already become work-hardened or flattening in bending previously 'unbent' sections? :?:
1991 BX19GTi Auto