Front sphere pressure on Estate?

BX Tech talk
toddao
BXpat

Front sphere pressure on Estate?

Post by toddao »

I've looked though the posts and I know it must be there somewhere. Does anyone know what the front spheres are rated at on the estate?
I just replaced my two front ones with some robbed off a written off Zantia, re-gassed them up to 55 which is what the old knackered ones had etched on them at but they feel a bit hard..
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

Was it a hydractive Xantia? If so, the restrictor hole size on the sphere is less than half that for conventional spheres.
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

That's a very good question.. What does this actually mean in terms of compatibility? I will survey the wreck and report back. There's always more to it than at first seems.
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
Aerodynamica
BXpert

Post by Aerodynamica »

If it's the corner spheres of a hydractive car then the dampers are stiff- on their own they'd ride very firm. The correct pressure will feel very stiff compared to another set of spheres of the same pressure but correct damper.

Just for interest if you re gas the spheres to a slightly higher pressure, say 60 not 55, you'll get softer springing but only where the right damper is fitted!

I fitted CX spheres to my BX and found the ride to be really smooth but still well behaved.
Graeme M

CX 2400 Pallas LPG
2CV6 dolly (SORNed)
Mk1 Xantia 1.9TD SX

'c'est hydropneumatique'
martyn52

Post by martyn52 »