Is this bearing shagged?

BX Tech talk
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Is this bearing shagged?

Post by Kitch »

Assuming the others all come out looking similar, is this knackered?

I've picked out the pics that do it the least justice. The crank journal feels smooth, just looks worn although there is some shrapnel in the oil feed hole. The bearing doesn't feel awful, looks bad though. I think with some 1200 and a clean it'd probably feel smooth but obviously I don't wanna rub it down too far!

They're for this 106 I'm planning to rebuild. This engine is a spare I have no history on, and I wanted to check it was all ok before I use it as a replacement.
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
jonathan_dyane
BXpert

Post by jonathan_dyane »

Yes, it's knackered! Looks like it has run short of oil...

I'd get some new shells and stick them on, but first take the caps off the mains and check them out, they're prob'ly buggered too, which means dropping the crank...
"Boring damned people. All over the earth. Propagating more boring damned people. What a horror show. The earth swarmed with them." -Charles Bukowski
AndersDK
BXpert

Post by AndersDK »

Agree !

Well and truly shot shells and crank lobes.
Ask around for a motor factor who could do a re-finish of your crank and deliver new shells. He will polish down the crank lobes to next grade oversize shells for both main and big-ends
Standad procedure years ago when re-building engines. Donno much on this these days if still done so.

This way you get a completely new engine crank mechanism.

All you need as extra are new gudgeon pin bushes. But it may not have slack this end.
Finish off doing a very careful balancing of the crank, then a careful match of all 4 pistons, conrods and mounting bits weights.
Then your runner will be a spinner.
C U / Anders - '90red16riBreak - '91GrisDolment16meteor - Project'88red19trsBreak
dead cars : '89white 16RS - '89antrasitTRDturboEst - '90white19triBreak
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

Nuts! This car is turning into a nightmare!

I'll hunt around for a second hand block. Don't really want to spend the big bucks to get it done properly! I'm not keeping it.
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)