An eggy question for the valeters

BX Tech talk
stuart_hedges
1K Away

An eggy question for the valeters

Post by stuart_hedges »

Some little scrote decided my BX could do with a little extra decoration last night, in the form of a raw egg :evil: I think it was just one, but it's gone everywhere - bonnet, side doors, roof and tailgate.

I've got the glass clean with Windolene and elbow grease, but I'm a bit worried about tackling the paint. How can I safely get the egg off of the metal and plastic bits without lifting the paint?

The car stank this morning, but the smell seems to have lifted now, thank goodness.
M

Post by M »

Its fine - someone did mine once (hunts for pic)

Fairy liquid in a bucket of water did the trick - paint stayed attached to car.
M

Post by M »

Here it is.
stuart_hedges
1K Away

Post by stuart_hedges »

Cheers Big M, I'll give that a go. It took such a lot of scrubbing to get it off the windows, I wanted to be a bit gentler on the paint. It's supposed to be nice round here, but this is the second such incident in six months - someone wrote the c-word in dust on the bonnet of the XM a while back :evil:

On the plus side, while I was scrubbing, a passer-by stopped and complimented the car - he even referred to it as a classic!
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

ive had this a few times now, solution for me has always been the pressure washer, but its been suggested that if you mix up biological washing up powder with a little hot water and brush it on, leave for a while, the egg will then wash straight off. Not tried it though!
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Fairy liquid is no good for paintwork as its far too course and will dull the paintwork and take off what polish there is, pressure wash off the residue first and use a good quality car shampoo and plenty of warm water.
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

Roverman wrote:Fairy liquid is no good for paintwork as its far too course and will dull the paintwork
Do you really mean coarse as in too gritty? :? The old cleaning compound of FL & a tablespoon of vinegar I've heard recommended as a means to remove dirt & road grime. Then follow with a good polish.
Ah well, it's all salon products now eh?
1991 BX19GTi Auto
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

Give it a lick of paint renovator (or T-cut) and polish after. Or if you have it, Autoglym bug and tar remover will do it, or TFR and such like. Jet wash makes things easier.

I'd be tempted not to wash it first, use the dirt and grit on the car as an abrasive. Then rinse after and polish with Super Resin or similar until as buff as required once more. If it's really coarse you could pop some G3 on first, but it probably won't need it.

I know someone who had their car sprayed all over with wheel paint and this worked fine on that. Egg's not as bad as bird shit :lol:
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)