BX droplink removal/replacement

BX Tech talk
mnde
Meteor Man
My Cars: 2007 Citroen Xsara Picasso 1.6 16V VTX
1982 Citroen GSA Spécial Estate - gone to a new home
1991 Citroen BX16 TGS Meteor - still out there somewhere!

BX droplink removal/replacement

Post by mnde »

I'd greatly appreciate a guide on how to do this please, so I can assess whether I can do it myself with the tools I have!

Cheers,

Mark.
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

Clean the top thread (anti-roll bar end) and lubricate it before touching the nut - with luck it'll now come undone. Most have a couple of flats in the tail - so they can be gripped while the nut is undone but I ended up having to hacksaw the neck on mine.

Bottom end - undo nut - then I used a wedge ball joint splitter and a lump hammer to break the joint (this one is tapered) and it all came apart easily.

Fitting the new one is the opposite - you may have to fiddle slightly with a jack and the axle stand you're using to get the joint to fit the anti-roll bar. (bar is linked to the opposite wheel and may shoot upwards as the car settles - raising the wheel you're working on may close the gap.)

It may prolong the life of the joint if additional grease is fed into it - which is easiest done with it off the car. (I had till it broke - a hollow needle with a grease nipple on it which was very handy for greasing sealed joints)