Lower suspension ball joints

BX Tech talk
Terry
BXpert

Lower suspension ball joints

Post by Terry »

Well, second year running GRX has gone through her test, but with a couple of things.

The lower suspension ball joint on both sides needs replacing. Anyone advise me here please. Can I do this myself? I can lay my hands on a ball joint separator tool, and the local scrappie has a long dead BX with 2 sound joints.

Or is it better to buy new and fit them?

Apart from that a clean bill of health. Emissions? Rodney, our local garage man who lives in this village said, for the second time, it's one of the cleanest diesels I've seen.

Figures were Average: .41 - Limit 3. Apparently, in real terms, beats most common rail diesels.
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

yeah, do it yourself and buy new joints.

Ball joint separating tool = big hammer and thick chisel.

You will need a good handlamp and look at the back of the hub, there are 2 notches cut into the hub, the balljoint outer ring is knocked up into these notches to act as locktabs. These MUST be knocked back out before the old balljoint will undo.
I have a very small sharp chisel for this job.
They think it's all over, it is now!
Terry
BXpert

Post by Terry »

God bless you Ken, I'll be on it as soon as new parts arrive
kermit the frog
BXpert

Post by kermit the frog »

Hi Terri

As Ken say's it is a very easy job, Good luck
A very sensible design.

Regards Kermit :) :)
ALAN S an oracle of knowledge sadly missed by us all RIP Mate
Green Hornet well I don't really know.GS project gone to pastures new
Blue Streak 1996(P) XANTIA VSX TD (130K.)
Terry
BXpert

Post by Terry »

Thanks for that Kermit, I've ordered new bits and will fit them as soon as they arrive.

Gotta say, love you signature: the older I get the faster I was. That's me!!!
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

just done one on mine, its easy, dont bother with the so called 'special tool' for getting them out, just give them hell with hammer and chisel (its faster and actually works). I do use to tool to put the new ones back in though! As for the locking tabs, if there only just turned over (which usually they are) then i just beat the ball joint straight out as the locking tabs soon straighten them selves out and i've found myself there for ages trying to knock them flat!

For £6 for a ball joint and a fe basic tools, it is most deffinatley worth doing it yourself!
kermit the frog
BXpert

Post by kermit the frog »

Hi Terry

I saw that slogan on a t shirt at Brands Hatch earlier this year and i thought exactly the same thing ( thats me) 8)

regards Kermit :) :)
ALAN S an oracle of knowledge sadly missed by us all RIP Mate
Green Hornet well I don't really know.GS project gone to pastures new
Blue Streak 1996(P) XANTIA VSX TD (130K.)
CitroXim
Sir Jim of the Databases

Post by CitroXim »

Vanny wrote:just done one on mine, its easy, dont bother with the so called 'special tool' for getting them out, just give them hell with hammer and chisel (its faster and actually works). I do use to tool to put the new ones back in though!
I'd go along with that Vanny :D Using the special tool to get them out is both bloody hard work and dangerous. The chisel method is far superior :lol:

Some schools of thought suggest the new balljoint should go in with a dab of Loctite. Opinions?
Jim

'98 Xantia 1.9TD in Red - Gabriel the Bus...
'96 Xantia Activa in Red - My favourite toy...
'07 Pug 207 in Blue - The Deathtrap...
'15 Giant Defy Bike in Blue - Daily rider...
'16 Giant TCR Bike in Black/Lime Green - Fine weather only...
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

why bother with lock tite? Give it five minutes in the hub carrier and it will be permanantly welde in place. I have to question even bothering to stake lock them (i always do mind) and it strikes me that the 'stake' is a bit to thin and flimsy to actually stop the thing rotating out if it wanted
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

I never use locktite on these, however I have seen one come unscrewed so always bend the tabs.
They think it's all over, it is now!
Terry
BXpert

Post by Terry »

Thanks for all that. Got two new bits on order, collect tomorrow and I'll have them in by the afternoon. GRX back mobile again.

Wasn't a big problem, they would have gone quite a bit longer, but with an elderly motor can't be too careful. Putting a new offside gaiter on as well while I'm at it. Weather permitting of course, right now the place where I'd normally work under cover is filled with newly harvested wheat and barley. I'll get a little for my chickens so can't complain.