burnt out blower motor

BX Tech talk
Michael Stuart

burnt out blower motor

Post by Michael Stuart »

I am in New Zealand and my cars cabin fan motor is fried.
I can't find anything to replace it and it is a real pain.
Can anyone help me?

Thanks. Michael.
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

What has actually happened to it?

The lead feeding it can suffer from some very determined corrosion which is virtually impossible to shift - sort it and the motor works.

The brushes can fail - new ones are not easy to get but you can file down some similar ones (domestic appliances like washing machines may use something similar - the lower the voltage the appliance the better - see other postings on this site)

Finally - its probably never worked properly - as the standard circuit boards didn't operate the full speed relay - see stick at the top of this section.
Michael Stuart

Post by Michael Stuart »

Im not actually sure what has happened to it.
I've had the car for about 6 months now and thats the only thing that still needs to be fixed.
I've tried to get it out before but I could'nt figure out how. It's winter here in NZ and as soon as i get under way the windows fog up.
I checked all the leads and they all seem to be alright
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

On my DTR Turbo the motor supply is easily visible running alongside the motor case. Break the connector and see if an independent 12 volt supply will run the motor. If the motor works - your problem is in the controls, if it doesn't - its the motor - which you'll have to remove and replace or repair.

Often when brushes are worn a motor will work for a while after thumping.
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

If the motor runs with an independent 12v supply, my money's on "heater module" failure.

If this turns out to be the case, with no blow, you should be able to fix the module by re-soldering all the joints on the module circuit board.

You'll find the module located in the blower duct next to the blower itself.
They think it's all over, it is now!
Michael Stuart

Post by Michael Stuart »

I took the motor out and hooked it up to a 9v battery and... nothing, so I went to the auto dismantlers in town and found a bx16tgs so i grabbed the fan motor out of it and took it home cleaned it up and did the same thing with the 9v battery and it sarted spinning so i put that one in and it seems to be working pretty well.

Thanks for the help. Michael
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

You've obviously had more luck there than you would've had here. You'd spend many hours if not days trying to find a BX in a scrap yard in this part of the world. :(
They think it's all over, it is now!