Help! Steering wheel with broken 'bit'?!!

BX Tech talk
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Help! Steering wheel with broken 'bit'?!!

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Hi, just received a nice 16v steering but the Post Office have (yet again, I'm sorry to say) conspired with slightly inadequate packaging, to break a bit off. It's the black plastic collar around the back with the bit that sticks out (I think this cancels the indicator?). I don't know what it's called but it's broken. I need to know if the same part is used on the standard steering wheel (91 GTi) so when I take that off I can do a swap??? Trouble is |I could get the broken piece off because it was broken - I'm not sure how I'd get a whole one on/off... If indeed it's possible. OR as I suspect, do I bin the steering wheel, get a refund and look again (hopefully I can find another - there were some kind offers before)?
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

Who wants self cancelling indicators anyway. The best BXs never had them :lol:
They think it's all over, it is now!
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Well, once you've had them, you don't look back. Bit like wind up windows... :wink:
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

the canceller insert is held in with a circlip and are the same on all the BX's so can just be swapped. I think you can use the same canceller insert from the AX and ZX as well if you get stick for one!
mnde
Meteor Man
My Cars: 2007 Citroen Xsara Picasso 1.6 16V VTX
1982 Citroen GSA Spécial Estate - gone to a new home
1991 Citroen BX16 TGS Meteor - still out there somewhere!

Post by mnde »

Philip chidlow wrote:Well, once you've had them, you don't look back. Bit like wind up windows... :wink:
I guess... but, being a GS owner, :) I regard self-canceling indicators a hindrance rather than an advance. In fact some BX Mk2 owners must agree, because I'm sure there's a little section of the BX DIY site dedicated to removing the self-cancel blip from the steering wheel!

I've also been the recipient of inadequately wrapped eBay items: a Citroen brochure in a normal envelope with no protecting cardboard (luckily undamaged), and a BX front indicator unit, enclosed in its original dog-eared box, roughly wrapped with brown tape, with my address written on with indelible pen!! Well, it did it's job - just!

I hope you manage to get sorted :)

Mark.
Gareth Wales
BXpert

Post by Gareth Wales »

I Araldited the broken bit back on.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Thanks - I'll do that or, if I can, use the one from the steering wheel it's replacing...
citroenxm
Confirmed BX'er

Post by citroenxm »

I've seen METAL ones too!!

Dont think I have one though
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Dont worry about self cancelling indicators matey, in fact dont worry about indicators at all, where I live in leicester u dont have to have them :? , especially if you drive a 406 taxi as I think they were a factory optional extra that most people didnt specify, instead they chose the desirable pvc "leather look" seat covers and highly decorative gold inlayed tissue box for the parcel shelf!

Just pull out look bemused and brake sharply and u will fit in well up here!
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

But after 10 pints of falling down water and a highly questionable kebab you wouldnt care what it is as long as it gets you home! And dont forget the usual lines " what time you on until" and "how many miles it done mate" (normally 210-250k)

Or is that just me??
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

I once got a taxi ride home in a BX (it was a BX taxi and not just my dad!), and i didnt say a word, just smiled all the way home and probably left an all too large tip! Gone are the days!
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Same happened to me, 1987 first time abroad, picked up by a white 19 trd, me trying to make the spanish taxi driver aware we had a similar car at home! He just smiled and nodded politely! thinking bloody foreigners i imagine.
M

Post by M »

Vanny wrote:I once got a taxi ride home in a BX (it was a BX taxi and not just my dad!), and i didnt say a word, just smiled all the way home and probably left an all too large tip! Gone are the days!
We still have BX Taxis in Blackpool :!: