Smoking french girls

BX Tech talk
Jaro
Confirmed BX'er

Smoking french girls

Post by Jaro »

I told you that I was getting post crazed, my car like most French girls smokes a wee bit, not all the time mostly after just setting off and sometimes at the end of a longish drive. The thought is that its piston rings? and I'm advised to just forget it, but I don't want it to damage it's self too much by leaving it--are there temporary cures like thick oil or additives, or should I pay for a engine overhaul?

Thanks

Jaro
M

Post by M »

Valve stem seals? Not the end of the world if oil consumption is pretty low I would have thought. Petrol or Diesel?
Diesel grey smoke on start up can be down to air in the mix or a duff heater plug. If it clears a few seconds after start up then its hardly worth bothering about.
Are there any unusual noises or knocking from the engine under load?

I thought this was a post advertising Galloses Blondes at first! :D
Jaro
Confirmed BX'er

Smoking french girls

Post by Jaro »

She's petrol with a manual gearbox and she is using some oil (done 176,000kms) - if it is the rings does this normally mean a complete engine swop or is it OK just to refurbish the engine like I guess it would be for any other car - I did ask my very friendly s/h parts garage about the idea of putting a bigger engine in -on the basis that if you had to change the engine then put a 1.9 in but he said no its very expensive and involves changing the gear box as well.
He did also say that these where the best Citroen ever produced and that includes the Zantia and beyond. ( is this a planet somewhere?)
M

Post by M »

Wikki wrote: Citroen Xantia (n) pron: Zan-Tee-Ahh Dialect:(bloody thing its broken again) - Basically a Pug 406 with funny suspension. Prone to breaking down a lot and causing much mirth with garages everywhere. A valuable source of income in rural garages and valuable source of new tin in China
It all depends on how much you want to spend on the car - swap for a bigger one and uprate the brakes, swap for a diesel for economy or just get the one you have overhauled. A proper mechanic will be along in a moment to tell you more.
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

All BX variants use the same brake pads, the calipers and discs are the same except for the 16 valve which has ventilated fronts.

Suspension is the same except for spheres and anti-roll bars. Steering likewise - the difference being manual or power.

Having said that the 14 is a bit different - smaller fuel tank and probably some trim differences.

What you do will really depend on your resources and what you want at the end of it.

If the rings/bores are worn I'd expect there to be considerable blowby - resulting in an engine that leaks oil from everywhere. It will also fume excessively. If when you remove the oil filler cap with the engine running you have to move away to avoid choking - then you've got problems.

Otherwise check the engine breather. Some have a metal pot scourer type gauze in the system which goes solid after a few years. If the breather system is blocked the crankcase will pressurise and force oil up the bores past the oil control rings.

If your engine has an aluminum block it probably has wet liners. You simply replace the pistons and liners which come as a matched pair. It may be worth finding the cost.