Window wind-up

BX Tech talk
toddao
BXpat

Window wind-up

Post by toddao »

One of the things that I've lived with on my BX is the front ( manually wound) windows never properly shutting. Both glasses lean a little forward and sometimes even lean into the car when they're going up to close. Normally I assist them into place with my hand..

Recently the passeneger window dropped one of its bearings so I took it all apart to try to remedy it. I took the mechanism out and thinking that perhaps excessive play in the hinge where the scissor arms join was to blame I tightened it with some 'smithing' i.e gentle hammering!

It still leans forward when closing. I've checked all the bearings, rubbers etc for wear but they seem fine. There is some adjustment possible in the front runner but this is a negligable 1cm or so, though could be increased with some inobtrusive drilling.

Anyone had any experience of such things. I know most BXs have electric windows but I think the theory is the same when it comes to what might wear, prevent straight rising etc. Cheers
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
prm
BXpert

Post by prm »

Todd

Going back some time with manual winders. ????

The main winding mechanism is secured by 2??-3 10mm headed bolts. There should be an additional mechanism securing bolt towards the door lock, which is elongated to adjust the tilt/angle of the lower rail section. This may require enlarging to take-up any wear.

Check the door frame rubbers are in line and fully seated in the channel, especially on the top forward angled corner. If it’s jammed at any time, this may have bent the scissor arms, but you may need to get heavy handed with the upper frame by bending this inwards to align.

Regards
demag
BXpert

Post by demag »

Have you used silicon spray or equivalent to ease the glass to slide up and down in the guides?
Dave.

2004 C5 Exclusive Estate 2.2hdi automatic.
1990 Bx TGS automatic.
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

Thanks for the replies. I've got to take it apart again and apply some more 'science' beause as we were travelling down the autobahn yesterday in quite heavy rain, the little gap where it leans forward was admitting enough spray to disturb the wife, who fortunately is quite tolerant.. I said : at least it goes up and down again ( sort of) !
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

toddao wrote:the wife, who fortunately is quite tolerant..
Lucky man.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad