Door locks

BX Tech talk
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Door locks

Post by Jaba »

Quick question re locks to save me time and the possibility of wrecking two locks.
Can the innards of a door lock be swapped with another one in the same way that the ignition lock can.

I have a thief damaged but working door lock on a car and want to put its innards into a good condition lock from a breaker to use with my original key and then put the good lock on the car.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

Yes you can. It's fiddly as hell, but can be done. I recommend having some tweezers handy for when (not if) you need to re-fit all the locking bars.

That said, how badly damaged is your "correct key" lock? If its facing is badly damaged, then you may not get rid of all the damage by swapping it over.

That said again, you can play eeny-meeny-miney-mo with the lock tumblers to "make" a lock that fits your key (and use a file to make them fit) I've done that many times in the past with 100% success.
this might be a signature
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Post by Jaba »

Thats good news. I thought it was possible.
I will have a go when we get another rainy day and I cannot work outside........ No guesses when that will be.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.