8valve BX19 GTI - Missing

BX Tech talk
ddob

8valve BX19 GTI - Missing

Post by ddob »

Hi Wise nad Knowledgeable Gentlemen,
Have just bought myseld an 1988 8valve BX19GTI.
It has a problem
It appears to only be running on 3 cylinders - previous owner has had the headgasket replaced, valves resurfaced etc because it blew a head gasket. Was using it daily and after 3 months it developed a slight miss - he put some injector cleaner into the car and it seemed to disappear but came back with a vengince - He has had the compression teasted and they were all excellent no seepage at all and there is no oil in the water.
Help please OH wise ones as to what you think the problem may be.
Many Thanks for putting up with a newbie,
Danny
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

I had a similar problem with a GTi I had years ago. New HT leads and plugs and a new distributor cap, rotor arm IIRC cured the problem but I'd also consider (as Way2go may also suggest) the injectors could need a professional clean or even replacement.
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

Philip Chidlow wrote: but I'd also consider (as Way2go may also suggest) the injectors could need a professional clean or even replacement.
Yes indeed, I believe my problems stemmed from injector cleaner being added by the garage on a service when I complained about irregular tickover. It too was better for a while and then it gummed up the injectors. One of the injectors had to be tapped with a spanner while on the cleaning machine to get the mechanism pulsing the cleaning fluid through as it had become temporarily stuck. So long as the coils measure resistance then total replacement should not be necessary and cleaning should yield fantastic results.
Lucas or Bosch centres are the place to go for this ultrasonic clean and injector service.
Mine have been good since and I would never allow that additive to be used again. :D
1991 BX19GTi Auto