New second hand hydralic pump - not so great

BX Tech talk
jwthwaites96
Confirmed BX'er

New second hand hydralic pump - not so great

Post by jwthwaites96 »

Hi Guy's, I am hoping you guy's might be able to advise me, a fellow BXer and myself have just installed a new second hand HP pump on my 1.9 diesel. Started it up and it works but it is noisey, I am guessing it should be quet but I kind of hoping its not ment to be, something along the lines of diesels being noisey so the HP pump are noisey.
Any help is always appreciated.
J
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

Just pot luck I think, it could mean there's wear in the pump of course, but I've known noisy pumps last for years.
They think it's all over, it is now!
jonathan_dyane
BXpert

Post by jonathan_dyane »

What sort of noise is it?

Are you sure the belt isn't slipping?

They have to be 'kin tight ;-)
"Boring damned people. All over the earth. Propagating more boring damned people. What a horror show. The earth swarmed with them." -Charles Bukowski
Aerodynamica
BXpert

Post by Aerodynamica »

If you just installed it there can be air in it. Did you prime the pump with LHM before connecting it all up? also once installed, you do the old trick of running it with the bleed bolt of the pressure regulator open then tighten it until the reg cuts out and then open it a gain- repaet this for a minute or so to purge all the air out the regulator and pump.

I had a loud new pump on the CX a few months ago due to not priming properly - primed, restarted and suddenly all was quiet...
Graeme M

CX 2400 Pallas LPG
2CV6 dolly (SORNed)
Mk1 Xantia 1.9TD SX

'c'est hydropneumatique'
jwthwaites96
Confirmed BX'er

Post by jwthwaites96 »

Hi Guy's, cheers for all the usggestions.
well as for the noise, i'm not sure how best to discribe it, possibly a ticking, it sounds like the bearing is just banging around, I think its rythmic.
The bleed screw thing, do you bleed it till lhm comes out of the bleed?
The belt was slipping but that is all tight now, so thats not the problem.
J
Aerodynamica
BXpert

Post by Aerodynamica »

The bleed screw thing, do you bleed it till lhm comes out of the bleed?
! no don't remove it or anything!

Sorry I should have been clearer - With a 12mm spanner, all you do is loosen the bolt on the pressure regulator body by no more than 1/2 turn. If the engine is switched off and you then do this you'd hear a sudden localised whoosh sound as the accumulator dumps its contents. With the engine running, loosen this by half turn and wait a few seconds then retighten and wait until you hear the regulator click, repeat a few times - no fluid should come out anywhere - you're bleeding the LHM back to the tank. Some say this procedure should be done with the suspension at high setting but I can't see why it makes a difference. This job is dealing only with the HP pump, regulator/accumulator and the LHM tank.

It was a regular rhythmic ticking my pump was giving too - it suddenly vanished after bleeding.

Having said that it -MIGHT- be caused by a bad pump but you can eliminate it by bleeding the regulator.
Graeme M

CX 2400 Pallas LPG
2CV6 dolly (SORNed)
Mk1 Xantia 1.9TD SX

'c'est hydropneumatique'
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

If you've got air in the pump - not unusual after a refit or reconnection , then it'll probably be rattling like a bag of nails. Exactly how big a bag of nails, and how many nails depends on the amount of air and where it is.

Cure as per Aerodynamica's post.
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.
jwthwaites96
Confirmed BX'er

Post by jwthwaites96 »

hi Guys,
well we have tried doing the bleeding you mentioned but it is still clunking, now at this point i would say its knackered but the thing that makes me think that there is still hope is that the power streering works great but when driving and doing a right hand corner it gets really heavy, would this be due to air being in the system?
Aerodynamica
BXpert

Post by Aerodynamica »

Does it get heavy turning right when you're stopped too?
Graeme M

CX 2400 Pallas LPG
2CV6 dolly (SORNed)
Mk1 Xantia 1.9TD SX

'c'est hydropneumatique'
jwthwaites96
Confirmed BX'er

Post by jwthwaites96 »

Hi Sorry i dont think i discribed that too well, by right hand corner i ment 90o angle so going to the extremes of the turn, in both directions. Hope thats clearer.
J