Will these fit a bx ????

BX Tech talk
tim leech

Will these fit a bx ????

Post by tim leech »

cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Same bloke selling the Xantia interior if anyone wants me to collect.

You are not a number, you are a forum blocker :lol:
Vauxhall apologist.
Mr B
Northern Moderator
Northern Moderator

Post by Mr B »

Might have a problem on the rear. I run BX 16V alloys wearing 195/60X14's and the rear wing clearance is bugger all.
1991 Landrover Discovery
1995 VW Golf SE
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

I have the same wheels as yours Mr B and had to genly adjust one of the wheelarches so they didnt rub (gave it a good pull)

Does anyone know whats the biggest wheels and tyres u can fit? and are the 16v rear arches different or is it just moulding.

Ta!
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Shame as they would look lovely on a bx!
Mr B
Northern Moderator
Northern Moderator

Post by Mr B »

tim leech wrote:I have the same wheels as yours Mr B and had to genly adjust one of the wheelarches so they didnt rub (gave it a good pull)

Does anyone know whats the biggest wheels and tyres u can fit? and are the 16v rear arches different or is it just moulding.

Ta!
Vanny is our big wheel man, he knows of such devilment :twisted:
1991 Landrover Discovery
1995 VW Golf SE
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

the rear arches on the 16v are the same with the moulding stuck on top (makes sence really). If you inspect Caerphilly (it starts again :D ) the you'll find the edge of the arch is bent over for support and is a prime target for cutting out giving a good 12mm of extra clearance!

As for max sizes, well i have 205/40 R17's on the rear of mine. One side the arch is cut out (as above) and never catches, on the otherside the arch isn't cut out and the tyre is totally fooked after two attempts at bump starting with no suspension!

That said DONT

and i mean DONT

even think about putting 17" alloys on! Ask anyone with a BX with 17" alloys and they will all tell you the same, ride quality goes out the window and you can forget about going round a corner, except when on the motor way when the car will be steeing you all over the place! (Big lorrys, soft tarmac and following with 17" 205/40's really doesn't work!).

They look clever, even fancy but if you actually want to drive the car and enjoy it, dont get 17"!

Those Xantia alloys i think are for the activa (blatant plug www.activanet.co.uk) and are worth a few quid. Xantia steel rims certainly fit under a BX so i see no reason why the alloy's shouldnt! Next time i'm near some i'll try them out!
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Thanks for that, Would like some 14" gti or xantia steel wheels with 185 tyres for my TZD to replace the skinny 165's, but keep the original trims as i think theyre cool. Anyone got any they want to sell cheaply, let me know

One guy wanted £60 for his and as u can get 16v wheels for that I declined!
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

I`m chasing some 309GTi (1.9) alloys for my Citroen but now I think about it I`m sure they`re 15", with something like 185-55-15 tyres as standard. Will that present a problem?
Vauxhall apologist.
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

My mate ran his BX on 15" Pug alloys for long enough using a low profile tyre, it just made the speedo about 5% out, can't remember which way. :oops:
They think it's all over, it is now!
M

Post by M »

cavmad wrote:I`m chasing some 309GTi (1.9) alloys for my Citroen but now I think about it I`m sure they`re 15", with something like 185-55-15 tyres as standard. Will that present a problem?
Nice - I rather fancy the pepper pot ones off the 1.6 - but believe they are a swine to balance as they do not have a centre knock out :(
Cornishbx16v
BXpert

Post by Cornishbx16v »

the15's will bolt straight on witn no issues! (pug ones!) and they shouldnt affect the speedo as the rolling radious of the wheel is the same on a 15 with low profie to a 14 with std profile! (as an example the 185/50/14 and 195/50/15 are the same rolling radious's!)
try this if you want to double check!
http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html
the xantia wheels should fit as according to all the fitment guides thay have the same offset as the bx'x, in fact all the 4 stud citroen and peugeots have the same except for the 206 and 307 an i suspect the newer ones!
the fitment for the bx's etc are 4x108, 65mm central bore, offset of et15-22,
ford wheels will also fit but you will need a spacer to bring the offset down to the correct fitment!
as for 17's i had them on mine, and they looked the nuts, but i had endless problems with bottom arm bushes wearing so took them off after 3 sets of bushes in 6 months!
Timmo.

After all I AM CORNISH!!!!

www.bx16v.com
www.bx16v.co.uk/forum
www.bx16valve.co.uk