Replacement of Front Subframe

BX Tech talk
davell

Replacement of Front Subframe

Post by davell »

Hi guys, i have a 1993 BX 17 TGD[Diesel] .Can anyone let me know if it is possible to replace the subframe complete with suspension arms [except for rack and pinion and power steering unit] with an old subframe[ from the old series of subframes]. Thanks in advance
Dave bx 17 TGD
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Re: Replacement of Front Subframe

Post by DavidRutherford »

davell wrote:from the old series of subframes
What do you mean by this? If you mean a MK1 subframe, why on earth would you want to do that? The MK1 arrangement is both more fragile and more expensive to maintain (roller bearings in the lower arms). The MK2 subframe is considered a worthy upgrade to a MK1 with dead arm bearings.
this might be a signature
davell

Re-replacement of front subframe

Post by davell »

This is not something that i chose to do but something that i am constrained to do. The subframe is damaged and the only available option is a Mk1 subframe. I want to get the car going again. If the Mk1 subframe fits without too much hassle i would be happy with it.
Dave bx 17 TGD
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

It depends on the year of the MK1 subframe, some of the later ones (c reg) had metalastic front bushes just like the MK2
They think it's all over, it is now!
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Depending on where you are, I'm sure someone must have a MK2 subframe.

I have three....
davell

Post by davell »

Thanks for your help. We can get a new subframe but it is not economically worth it to spend so much money. So if you have 3 it must be pretty cheap in your area. About how much do these parts cost in your area? {front subframe, front nuckle hub and bearing, front lower wishbone, steering tierod, front right wing, right front door and a front strut. All this hassle was caused because of a stupid driver that crashed into me.
Dave bx 17 TGD
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

davell wrote:Thanks for your help. We can get a new subframe but it is not economically worth it to spend so much money. So if you have 3 it must be pretty cheap in your area.
Cheap? They were effectively free. All of them came from cars that I've broken up.

I may be able to help you out here. What I have on my driveway at the moment is the front of a BX D. It is cut off at the bulkhead, with everything forward of the bulkhead being complete. That's subframe, wishbone, hub, strut etc.etc. Effectively everything you need.

I was just about to weigh the lot in. If you want it, come and get it. Tools are available for use here to take off what you need.
davell

Post by davell »

Thanks a lot for your help, i really appreciate. Where is your driveway situated? :D i hope you are not far away from me
Dave bx 17 TGD
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

I am in Dorset, just near the Somerset border.

Sling SP8 into maps.google.co.uk and that will give you a rough idea. Whereabouts are you?
davell

Post by davell »

Thanks for your help. What's the condition of this subframe and suspension? Since it has been chopped off from the rest of the car, there was obviously a reason{ can i just fit it and drive or do i need to re-condition it}. Would you consider dismantling it and putting it in a box for shipment, as we live about 2000miles away {Malta} {obviously against payment}. We would need the size and weight of the box and your postal code, so that we can get a shipping quotation. Do you have available a right front door[complete]. Can i also ask you from what model of car it was chopped off [does it have an A/C] or can you find one that can be dismantled and sent please!!!! Enter Malta in google maps. Thanks
Dave bx 17 TGD
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Malta?

Yes, I know where Malta is.

Given that this is a UK based club, it might have been a good idea to mention that when I said I had parts available, and that you had to come and get them.

To ship about 100kg of BX to Malta is going to cost you an absolute fortune. Plus, I'm not in a position to start taking bits and pieces apart right now.
M

Post by M »

It would probably be cheaper to buy that 1600 auto off autotrader and drive it to Malta than try and ship a door and subframe.

Still, if I send you a cheque for £2000 can you send me the change and the parts Dave?
davell

Post by davell »

Thanks for the encouragement. I will keep you updated with new developments soon. :D
Dave bx 17 TGD