Anyone know what this is?

BX Tech talk
mat_fenwick

Anyone know what this is?

Post by mat_fenwick »

After the Xantia engine swap I have a small pile of leftover bits. All of them are redundant (i.e. bolts for brackets no longer required etc) apart from (possibly) this piece of pipe.

It has the shape of a 13mm hex nut formed into one end, so it looks like it was pushed over an M8 or similar stub to prevent chafing. The question is, where? The only place I can find is the end of the clutch cable, and it seems like it would fall straight off again, plus I can't see what it would protect. I would be grateful if anyone has any ideas...

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

That goes on the long 13mm nut with stud on the cambelt end of the engine and keeps the cambelt cover away from the belt.

Ie, the lower of the two studs that the rear cambelt cover slots on to.
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Cool, thanks Chris! I had a feeling you might know...

Do you mean on engines that have a bolt on timing cover? As the Xantia engine had that arrangement but I transferred the clip on cover from the BX engine. Thing is, I don't ever remember seeing it when I've done the belt on an early XUD, and I've only worked on 2 of the later engines so I'm not that familiar.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad